Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bow hunting in HOA common area

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
So suzy calls the warden. Warden comes and asks for your written permission...whatcha gonna show them?
also there will be the issue of others wanting to hunt too, be ready for that.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Man this is a tough issue. The whole time I'm reading all of the responses I'm thinking like Dannmann801 is, if you are allowed to hunt it, someone else will want too as well. Either way it pans out, good luck to you. Sounds like a perfect spot, right out your back door.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Does sound very tempting. Written permission was an excellent point. As a tax payer, don't we all own a little piece of the local park? Does this mean it is mine to use as I wish? Maybe a bad example, but just trying to think along similar lines.

Okay, you are getting daytime pictures of bucks. Would you like to continue seeing them or make them leave? Generally, when I start hunting a buck it disappears. Day after the season closes: Poof, they magically show back up. haha

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Get all your ducks in a row and go for it.....but like others have said....that will be a sure fire way to find out how many others will want to hunt it also and that would definitely scatter the deer if someone ends up being in there almost everyday....but if you can get first crack at it and get the deer you want...well, that's just priceless!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
You are in between a rock and a hard place for sure. You know best what your relationship with ALL your neighbors is like, so ultimately you know what is going to be best overall. There are many valid points across the board for both sides of the argument.

My personal opinion is that even if you do get permission from your hoa there is probably going to be at least one person in the community that is not going to like it. Unfortunately in today's society these people seem to win. All they would have to do is decide they are going to start exercising by jogging through the commons area but now they can't because there is some meat eating crazy deer slaying sob hunting the commons so I can't use it the way I want to.

Personally this is why I will never live in a area where there are rules to what I can and can't do on my own property, but if I did I would try and lay low and maintain the best relationship I could with as many neighborhood household families I could.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd hunt it. But I'm a degenerate redneck. lmao Just the thought of being part of an HOA gives me the shakes!

In all honesty though, I'd have all the i's dotted and t's crossed so when your asswipe neighbors (because you have some even if you don't know it yet) call the law, you are in the right. Also, if you shoot a Booner or something truly big in there, you better be legal with it or you'll be out some major coin. A 180" deer will run you north of $10K in fines and restitution. So I'd get with the HOA, have them approve you hunting, then get the President to sign your permission slip.

I'd hunt it. But I'm a degenerate redneck. lmao Just the thought of being part of an HOA gives me the shakes!

In all honesty though, I'd have all the i's dotted and t's crossed so when your asswipe neighbors (because you have some even if you don't know it yet) call the law, you are in the right. Also, if you shoot a Booner or something truly big in there, you better be legal with it or you'll be out some major coin. A 180" deer will run you north of $10K in fines and restitution. So I'd get with the HOA, have them approve you hunting, then get the President to sign your permission slip.

X2 :smiley_coolpeace:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I couldn't join a HOA. My daughter lived in one and when my other daughter visited they had to park their nice classic car in the garage because there was a age limit on cars parked in the driveway. Give me a break already.
My friend also put up the wrong color of mailbox and a HOA Committee showed up with a warning to remove it are be charged a fee to have it removed. Give me another break.

teej89

NE PA
reminds me of an episode on Duck Dynasty when Jase was burning leaves and raising chickens in his yard and the HOA busted him hahaha

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Went through this but it was to trap a pond that borderd the properties. The president lived in one of those house that was on the pond and yard was being destroyed by the muskrats. He couldn't sign my slip fast enough!!! Get that slip signed from the pres before other people that might want to hunt it. It might be you get it this year and another guy will get it the next year that lives there but at least you will get a shot at it.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Almost all of the pics are daytime...I've never seen anything like it. I almost feel like I'm cheating, but I've put my time in on private and public land...hunting is hunting. The doe that come into my cam are like clockwork; 7:15 AM, 4PM, 5PM. The bucks are all very random daytime pics. I really appreciate the feedback, you guys and this site are truly the best there is. I'm torn fellas. I'll definitely be keeping everybody posted.

I see why you're tempted. In all honesty I would be doing the same kind of thinking you're doing. I would probably hunt it, on the ground, in secrecy.

Smokey Vanes

SW OHIO
I love the bluntness (might have made up that word) of this group, you guys are awesome. I'm still deciding on who/what/when/where/how to talk to the HOA/pres. My HOA is not a scary outside company, and we have ZERO crazy rules of what you can and cannot do. The point of the HOA in my community is honestly set up for things like; paying a company to cut the common area grass, landscaping the community entrance, etc. There are no rules about having my big ugly truck parked in front of my house or anything like that. A lot of you have great ideas and points on this topic...I'm going to use a little bit from everybody in whatever decision I make.