Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A late bloomer an the 1/2 a decade deer

Congratulations on your first. Your patience paid off very well and others could learn from your story. It takes more effort and knowledge you learned to pass up a shot than it does to make a bad one.

I enjoyed your story and dedication to hunting. You said "Not having a range finder I didn't know the exact yardage", did you forget to take your RangeFinder with you or do not own one?
I do not own one yet...Its at the top of my list for my next gear purchase...I walked it off later and it was about 58 yards I still doubt I would have took the shot that far unless things felt 100% perfect...She was a tad skittish,so for me that would have ruled out taking that shot..

Thanks for the congratulations from all the TOOzers

HuntingAgain

I do not own one yet...Its at the top of my list for my next gear purchase...I walked it off later and it was about 58 yards I still doubt I would have took the shot that far unless things felt 100% perfect...She was a tad skittish,so for me that would have ruled out taking that shot..

Thanks for the congratulations from all the TOOzers

I upgraded my Rangefinder this season to a Nikon with ARC. I still have my original Wildgame Halo unit that still works. I was so impressed with your story that if you will PM me your address I will send you the Halo Rangefinder as a Christmas Gift at no charge. Hopefully you and your son James will be able to put it TOO good use.

I upgraded my Rangefinder this season to a Nikon with ARC. I still have my original Wildgame Halo unit that still works. I was so impressed with your story that if you will PM me your address I will send you the Halo Rangefinder as a Christmas Gift at no charge. Hopefully you and your son James will be able to put it TOO good use.

That is mighty thoughtful of you..James is my buddy,my oldest son is Dylan and we will enjoy it VERY much..At some point I will upgrade rangefinders an pass the halo onto someone else..

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark

Very nice.....

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio

Toosers working majic again..... Priceless Right There!

Good Job Nick....You deserve it for sure!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH

Very cool of you!

Thanks again to everyone for all the support,and HUGE thanks to Huntingagain for his amazing generosity.

For a guy with 3 kids who only makes around $40k a year,the most satisfying part might have been putting just over 20lbs of ground meat in the freezer in addition to a few packs of round,loins etc..
That or the look of joy an relief on her face when we weighed up the meat.My wife is dead set on processing it all on our own next year,which will be a adventure I can not wait to tackle..

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

My wife is dead set on processing it all on our own next year,which will be a adventure I can not wait to tackle..

Lots of good threads on that here. Not that hard TOO do. It's a lot of work but the average Joe can do it.

Since it's been a few days, can we bust ya for not gutting it yourself!?