Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyotes 2013

Diablo54

Outside
I just wanted to put it out there that you will have unwanted catches in snares. I could list off some of the things i have caught in snares but i would more than likely get some serious hate mail. I will agree with all of you that snaring is simple compared to using legholds, but be ready for the unwanted catches as well. Just because you follow all of the regulations on your snares does not mean that the deer will survive the snare. 90% of the time you will have a dead deer. Im not saying not to use them im just saying that you need to be careful in your placement and be ready to accept it if you have an accidental catch. We caught over 45 coyotes in two winters with legholds and snares. But after catching so many other critters we put most of the snares up. It dropped our numbers but saved some lives as well.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I caught my nephews dog in a snare last winter, he lived. It was close though, they found him at the right time. Any longer and he wouldn't of made it.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'm not going to say I've never taken a non-target animal. But I will say if you learn from your mistakes, they can be kept to a minimum. For the average person, snares are easier in my opinion.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
DSCN0659A.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0659A.jpg
    DSCN0659A.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 123

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
They look real good! I'll have to check that tannery out, do they have a website? I paid $55 a piece for my 2 yotes.

Actually, I think that's where my buddy sends his. I found the website.

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Got our Black Coyote back. Would have been last year but I drug my feet in picking out a form. I think it turned out pretty good. Braydon can't wait to get here this weekend to see it! He is Super Stoked!

20150414_182207.jpg
20150414_182226.jpg