Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Great Day

Droptine

Medina, OH
I had a great meal with my young family. I usually travel to Massachusetts to visit family, but with 2 young daughters we decided to start this year having thanksgiving at home. After the meal and a nap I headed out to the stand. Got up about 3 and had steady action until dark. I saw 4 bucks and a doe total. I had a big bodied spike at 7 yards broadside. It is the biggest horned and bodied spike I have ever seen. I have tons of pictures of this deer in October but none since. It looked big in the pics but I thought it may have been just the angle, not the case I honestly thought about shooting it. But I am after a buck I have unfinished business with.

Around 4:30 I caught a glimpse of the big 12 point I wounded nov 3rd and have been after since it came back on camera nov 19th. I thought I was going to get another chance. He was on the same trail as the spike and I thought he would do the same thing. He got to about 80 yards and stopped. He stood still looking around for like 5 minuets and turned around and walked away. I knew I should have moved my stand after I wounded him but I didn't. I will be out moving my stand tomorrow around 10:30. He must have been thinking last time I was over there during the day something bad happened. I also saw a small 8 following close behind a doe.

What a great holiday. I am going to et some leftovers. I hope everyone on the site had a great holiday also.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
If I shoot a deer from a certain tree and fail to recover it, I won't hunt from that tree again. Bad luck. I would move the stand.

Sounds like you had a great family holiday.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like a great day. Years ago I busted a buck out setting in a ladderstand. The next day I moved the stand on the same trail. That night that buck busted out before it was even in sight and ran past me full out. He didn't make it.
So I'll go along on moving stands after busting or wounding a deer from a stand.
Good luck.

Droptine

Medina, OH
I just got done moving my stand. I like my new spot and I could see two established trails in the snow right at 15 yards. I am hoping the next 3 afternoons will be productive. I know the temps are rising so I hope they keep moving. I will be out at 2 tonight. I have attached a pic of that spike. He came back 30 min after I got down. What do you guys think of this 2 point.

image.jpg

DeadOn

Great story droptine. Sounds like the 12 is right on your fingertips. Good luck. Be safe and be persistent. I'm sure you'll get him.