Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The things you see on back roads

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
"Many of the most famous bridges in early America appeared along the markerNational Road in Pennsylvania. One such bridge is the famed "S" Bridge located five miles southwest of the town of Washington in Washington County. It was built to carry the road over the Buffalo Creek.

Made of stone, the "S" Bridge was completed and 1818 and named for its double-curve design. The reason that the bridge had this design was because it allowed the building crew to save on materials in construction. The two-span, arched bridge was constructed of stones gathered primarily from the stream below.

Bridges, such as the "S" Bridge, helped make the National Road a major thoroughfare for trade and travel in the Alleghenies region. Prior to the construction of the road and its bridges, crossing waterways of the upper Ohio Valley was significantly more treacherous and time-consuming."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claysville_S_Bridge

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's cool.
Phil isn't there a National Road marker on I-75 just south of Lima? Where there more than one National Road? A search shows it going across Ohio just north of Dayton by Rt 40. Confused again.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There is a "National Rd" a Mike south of my house. It is also called Main St in Cridersville, Amherst Rd 3 miles east of Cridersville, and probably something else if you drive far enough. Just the road name "National". I don't think it is of any significance though Frank.

Huckleberry Finn

I have always known 40 as National Road. I know it runs from south of Pittsbugh to Columbus. I would imagine somewhere after that but not sure where. The Pgh to Cbus route is largely where I 70 goes, so I would think it runs to Dayton and beyond. Similar to how 42 was the highway before 71, travelling from Cleveland, near Columbus, and down to Cincinnati and beyond.

30, which also runs from Pittsburgh to Mansfield and then onto Lima is known as Lincoln Highway.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
A buddy was walking down a side road on the outskirts of town and came up on this one.... No houses around just walking down the road....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433081844.202222.jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
After finishing the last hole on the pad, (Which was drilled down to a depth of 390 million years ago in the Marcellus play) Its moving day.

Merica!

Huckleberry Finn

That's a great rig picture, it's hard to get them into perspective and show their true size. I love that damn truck you got too!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Thanks Huck!
Ya. The shear size of a triple-stand rig is massive. For example; in the second picture, the 2 yellow square things are 2 of the 3 generators used to power the camp. They always run 2 of the 3 and alternate. Each unit is the size and length of a full size tractor/trailer. The yellow part is just the radiator and the rest is white as seen in the first picture...

For those of you that haven't been on one of these things, here are a few more for scale...
There are 2 men up there. One at the "crows nest" waiting to make a connection. The other is the poor SOB that had to go all the way to the top to replace a burned out red light that flashes on top of the crown.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
There are some site's that offer amazing views. Others are just woods and hillsides. One pad had a nearby cemetery that I drove around to and through. The old sandstone headstones showed birth dates from the turn of the 1800's and passing dates in the mid to late 1800's. Some due to early settlers and the Indian wars of the time. The further up the hill you drove, the newer the stones were with the most recent a couple hundred yards up the hill from the old church. In cases where drilling is nearby a community, 2 story,tan colored, "sound walls" are erected to dampen the sound. They are surprisingly effective.

Last edited: