Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

should i or shouldn't i

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Outside of a mature buck, a button buck is the next best option for harvest (unless you have a doe population problem which most in Ohio don't). They travel away to a new home range in the spring so in most cases, you would never see what he would become anyway. It only hurts your distant neighbors future buck potential (and only marginally at that).

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Think of it as saving a doe and doing your part to NOT demise the herd to even lower numbers. I still say you did the right thing.

Yea Phil that thought was running through my head too at least its not a doe and two deer for next year when the release let go. Hate too say it with our counties numbers in the dumps along with everybody else's I would have give a doe a chance. Still can't understand our county being a 4 deer limit?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yea Phil that thought was running through my head too at least its not a doe and two deer for next year when the release let go. Hate too say it with our counties numbers in the dumps along with everybody else's I would have give a doe a chance. Still can't understand our county being a 4 deer limit?

Me neither. It isn't about the hunters though. We have no say. We have a voice we can use. . . . they just don't listen to us. I am selective where I tag a doe. Try not to take more than one off any property a year unless I am seeing a ton of them. Not seeing a many at all this year.