Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

what a shame

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county

I was on my way to hunt this evening when I spotted this scene on the side of the road about 100 yards from where I park.

I noticed the white belly and turned around to see if it was one of the bucks I had been chasing. It turned out to be a doe with a button buck laying under her.

They didnt appear to have been there long. there was still hair in the 2 dark spots on the road, blood, and after rolling the doe over I found that the blood was still wet underneath her. It was obvious at the time that at least three of her legs were broke and the fawn was pretty busted up as well.

I debated for a bit, and texted a couple toozers and decided to call the sheriff and claim them. I have been hunting this area hard and new there weren't many does around and really didn't want to see them go to waste.

I got them home and started on the button first. He was no good. the skin had a greenish tint to it. The smell was horrible. His internals were completely destroyed as well as three broken legs. I believe the doe laying on top of him help to preserve enough heat to spoil him.
The doe was next. All 4 of her legs were shattered, her internals were busted up. Even her spine was broken which ruined the back straps. In short i wasn't able to save anything.

Not sure if they landed in this position or if they were placed here by whoever hit them, but I can tell you that whoever it was has some serious damage to their vehicle.

damned shame.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I should also add, that the does teets were bare. like she was still nursing the little dude. Could explain why he was still so close to her when they got hit.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That is a shame. But remember blood shot meat can be soaked couple times in plain cold water to remove all the blood. My dad showed me that trick 45 yrs. ago. In the old days they used that trick on old bulls to eat the meat. Try it as it works.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yeah that was definitely a weird scene you texted me.... When I first looked at it I thought you'd scored two on your hunt but wasn't too be I guess....

How long did it take for the deputy too show up????

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
But remember blood shot meat can be soaked couple times in plain cold water to remove all the blood. My dad showed me that trick 45 yrs. ago. In the old days they used that trick on old bulls to eat the meat. Try it as it works.

Might try it with the doe. the bb was just to messed up. The green in the skin was partly from bile. i might hang the doe back up tomorrow and see what I can come up with. The spleen must have been ok in her, i didnt see any green anyway.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Might try it with the doe. the bb was just to messed up. The green in the skin was partly from bile. i might hang the doe back up tomorrow and see what I can come up with. The spleen must have been ok in her, i didnt see any green anyway.

I've not lost one ounce of gunshot meat over 45 yrs. using the cold water soaking. No salt need. Just change the water couple times until the meat stops giving off the blood. It also helps to take a sharp knife and lance the bloodshot area.
I've used it couple times with success on road kills. It's just more work because of the large areas of bruising.
Report back.

One time I had 2 deer quartered and hanging in the garage. The wife had to go in for surgery and it turned warm. When I opened the door the smell was terrible. I thought I lost both of them.
The wife said try your dad's soaking trick. I did and it was the best deer meat ever. It appears the blood turned rank only. The water soaking took it all away.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Dave I do he same with bad shot up rabbit meat and it does work.... Just like Frank said keep changing the water until most of the red water is cleared up.... Just make sure the whole piece of meat is submerged.....

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Frank is right about the soaking. A little salt will help my Dad always said. He done it to Rabbits and Squirrels and I seen it work for real. I was real surprised the backstraps were good in the free one Braydon got. Hopefully they're still good in yours since they are away from the insides. Good Luck Man!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
As much as you guys struggle to see deer in your area, I can't blame you for trying. I give you a lot of credit for trying actually. Hopefully you can still salvage some of it.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio

Did you give the water soaking trick a try? Interested in the results.