Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nov.19 buck

JPN

coshocton
After what has been one of the slowest seasons ever for me, I finally connected. I was extremely close to not even going out because I didn't get off work until 4:00. I rushed home got dressed, smoked up and headed to the woods. After walking all the way up the hill I get to my stand and see my uncle (landowner) stacking firewood onto his tractor about 20 yards from the stand. I couldn't believe it. It's getting close to 4:30 at this point so I was debating on going to another spot or just go home. Luckily I decided to walk back down and circle around the hill on the other side of property. Instead of walking all the way to another stand I decided to climb up on a big rock and sit. I got settled and started rattling and let out a few grunts. Not 30 seconds later I heard leaves crunching. I adjusted myself on the rock to get ready. It ended up being a tiny 6 point. I was busy messing around taking pictures of him when I heard a stick break to my left. I slowly looked over and there stood a big buck not 20 yards away broadside. I was facing the wrong direction and couldn't move. That was my chance and I had to watch him walk away up the hill. The small buck moved on so I tried snort wheezing and grunting. But nothing seemed to work. I felt sick. After texting my buddies telling them what I had done I looked up and there he was 50 yards away coming right toward me. I got myself into position as well as I could, he was closing fast. At 30 yards he put his head down so I drew back. He came to around 20 yards and hit a wall. He looked directly at me and got really nervous. He started the head bobbing and took a few steps to the left. He was quartering towards me and was about to bolt so I settled in and took the shot. He ran about 40 yards and stopped then slowly walked away. We gave him 3 hours then dad and I went to see what kind of blood we could find. We had a pretty decent trail for 50 yards or so but he went into a really thick area so we decided to back out and wait till morning. After a long sleepless night we went back out at first light and picked up the trail. The blood really slowed down until he tried to cross the fence and didn't make it over and it really opened up. He went 40 more yards and that was it. I was and still am so happy! I actually think he was only a 3 1/2 but I wasn't about to pass him with the way the season was going.

Gordo

Athens County
Awesome buck!

Crazy how your plan to sit in that stand went down the tubes and you still got it done. Great adjustment on the fly. Makes me want to go guerilla style