Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

superstitions?...

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Superstitions, rituals, karma, juju... what ever you prefer to call it.

As i was having all my little problems and set backs this morning, that caused me to be sitting here typing instead of in the woods, I couldn't help but think that the stars just weren't lining up for me this year and I couldn't help but wonder why.

Then I got to thinking about diablo and his thing with his knife and relized i have been a little lax on my good juju rituals.

After i get in my stand and all settled in, tied off, bow ready, range marked, gloves hat... I take out a little flask and do a toast to mother nature. That is the very last thing I do before sit still be quiet time. I have found this year that after my toast, i think of some other little thing I didn't do. No more of that. toast is last. period.

I also have a traditional meal of a tenderloin from the previous years deer the night before the opener. I didn't do that this year, forgot all about it, till a week later. The tenderloin was eaten the second week, hope that doesn't jinx me all year.

In previous years, I made sure my gambrel was hung and ready before the opener. This year, however, I took the gambrel to strouds with me. I realized last night it still wasn't hung. That has been rectified this morning.

Last year I had the pleasure of harvesting my first ever buck. he wasn't exactly a booner worthy of a big taxi bill, but I wanted to do something with him. a european mount would be cool. So I buried his head in the back yard, under my archery target, with the plan to leave him for 1 year, dig him up, and bleach him. That year passed one week ago. I took care of that this morning as well. Still need to bleach, but hes out of the ground anyway.

So... deer gods... are you happy now? I hope so, cause I need all the good karma I can get for the remainder of the season.

How bout you guys? any good superstitions?

Diablo54

Outside
I can be kind of ridiculous.

I have to have my knife in my pocket. Not on my belt. And it has to be a certain knife

My hat is on forwards until I'm settled in. Then it comes backwards if I forget this I surely don't see deer.

The third arrow in my quiver is the one that gets put on the string.

A prayer must be sent as soon as I am in

No binoculars is a sure sign you won't see any deer.

I haven't killed a deer in 3 years without a chew in.

I know when I will kill something. Call me crazy but every deer I have ever killed I knew well before I even saw it that something would die. An odd knot in my stomach feeling until it happens. Call me Crazy but it is true.

I will only look at deer from a stand that are looking at me with one eye open.... Yeah I know weirdo.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
The third arrow in my quiver is the one that gets put on the string.

That's another one! The arrow from the doe I couldn't find is still in the first slot. I am now using the second one. need to remember to switch that

I like to make sure my dick is hanging to left.

lol. these colder mornings have mine more like a scared turtle. hanging is to the right, that's not gonna change.

LOL yep I've got a few.....

In years past I used to carry a buckeye with me but that didn't always work. This year I made sure I had some sure fire Indian related item with me....

After that I don't really have any other thing I do until I get to the tree. As I nock my arrow I look at it and say "Fly straight, fly true, fly all the way through....The Deer!" and then give it a kiss on the fletchings LOL!

Once I am settled I then have a few words with our maker, thanking him for getting me there safely, keeping my family safe, etc. and in the end I say the Lord's prayer.....

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Two lucky stones in my pocket(lake erie guys know what they are) buckeye on counsal of truck, My favorite knife and my super lucky binos!!!! Other than that i'd say no superstitions for me LOL!!!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't talk to my wife for the week before vacation. I wanna have my ears to be like a whitetail's & don't need any of that yapping or scolding ringing inside still... lol ( my wife will say it's like a vacation for HER )

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Being a baseball guy, I am pretty superstitious. I tend to stick with trends that are working. This year, it seems to be the G5 tipped arrow and no face paint. Last year, face paint was where it was at. I listen to the same song before each hunt also. It really gets me where I need to be!

[video=youtube;NNojdoI_D_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNojdoI_D_M[/video]

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Been wondering the same thing Dave. Might have to switch hats or something. Nah. I don't think it matters. Either you are gonna get lucky or not. Hunt as smart as you can. Hunt where the deer are. Sounds like you are hunting smart. I think your "bad luck" has nothing to do with stones, knives, arrow positions in the quiver, or which way your junk is hanging. I think you are simply hunting a low deer density area. Good luck bubba. Hope you get your juju back in order.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
None here. But out of dumb luck I found out I shot my 1st buck with the same broadhead I shot my 1st doe with last year. I'll probably carry that broadhead tip with me every year. But I'm switching types of broadheads for next year since I didn't get complete pass through at 12 yds.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I inhale a huge puff of hickory smoke, blow it on my hands, and then I tickle my left nut cause it hangs the lowest :eek:. Final ritual is putting a big dip of cope wintergreen in.

Kaiser878

ohio
I'm very superstitious about everything I do. I started the year with only 4 arrows in my quiver....bad idea... I always have to have a full quiver of six arrows and all have to index vane facing out......I started feeling superstitious on the 1st...sssooooo.I filled the quiver with 6 arrows on Nov. 1st.... and I shot my buck that night. Call it what u want.....but hey orbit makes me feel better I'm doing it....I have a whole list of goofy things I do as well

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I also have to have my index vane facing out, that's the OCD in me more than superstition! I always wear my TOO hat also. I don't feel right going to bed if I'm not packed and ready to go, so having my gear organized is a big one.