Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pin or target? Whatcha focus on?

teej89

NE PA
So I'm in my stand and every 30min-ish I'll pick a leaf in my lanes and draw on it. To stay loose and bring confidence in drawing and aiming. Well I noticed when I had both eyes open and focused on the leaf my pin would easily float around the leaf even tho the pin was blurry. However when I closed my left eye and aimed at the leaf there was a lot if tension trying to get the pin to the leaf and it was hard to find the leaf. I've noticed the past couple deer I've shot I'd close my eye and focus on the pin and have no idea where the deer was so I'd open my eye bring my head away from the string find the deer get re anchored then shoot. It's been like that almost every deer.

I've always stared at the pin cuz that's how my dad taught me. However he didn't start shooting a compound till after the army where he was a part of the rifle team. When he taught me to shoot iron sights before bow hunting he always stressed on front sight focus. I feel I've been, and he's been, doing it wrong all along?

What are your thoughts?

Did I just have a break thru with my target panic Milo?

Treed

Stark County
Are you left eye dominant? Sounds like it's possible. I have a friend who's right handed but his left eye is the dominant one.
I always focus on my front sight. When I close my left eye the target is slightly blurry but the pin is in clear focus and there's no problem finding my target, I'm already looking at it. If I were right handed/left eyed, this wouldn't be the case. As soon as I closed my left (dominant) eye, the image would shift and I'd have to pull up to find my target again.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I always aim through my pin. I wouldn't say i focus really on either. I do however, always shoot with both eyes open. I didn't do it when I was younger and it was something I trained myself to do. I close one eye every now and then and I hate it.

teej89

NE PA
Treed I am left eye dominant so I can't shoot with bow eyes open cuz if I focus on the pin I see two targets and if I focus on the target I see two pins. Therefore I have to close one eye. But with one eye close and I focus on the pin the target is significantly blurry, especially a deer when it's a brown deer with brown leaves as a backdrop.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Your thoughts and question is spot on, and although I don't have your answer I would say that the last place you want to experiment and figure this out is in the stand on a potential live target. I would recommend on staying with what you have practiced until you have some time to try it both ways on a target that doesn't have the potential to move on you. Your confidence is in your method of practice. So stick with that for now.

teej89

NE PA
Ya I completely agree with ya Hoyt just thinking of things to try when I get back from my rutcation. Just thinking of what could make me more accurate.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Here is how it goes for me.

Draw- eyes on animal
Anchor
Close left eye.
Check housing center -lock it in
Place correct pin
Focus through sight to the animal.
Place pin on animal where I want to exit.
Check housing center one last time.
1 away.

All of this takes place in less than 2 seconds.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Professional archers say always let your pin float and concentrate on the target. I don't know if you shoot 3d tournaments or not but that is an excellent way to get your form down, learn to judge yardage and know what to expect from your equipment. I have learned a great deal about archery from shooting 3d over the past 20 years from all the knowledgable shooters I've met. I also shoot a hunter league from April to August each year to get ready for the season and stay confident in my shot.

Jackalope has a good sequence and practice makes perfect.