Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

On to plan B

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I went out thursday to dump some corn, On my way back i poked around the woods a little, and found spots where the deer have been digging up those small black osk acorns. Found several that were half eaten, must be already starting to rot.

I poked around some also and green was the theme for me. They were pawing up anything remotely green.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I poked around some also and green was the theme for me. They were pawing up anything remotely green.

The three I saw Wednesday night were browsing on the redbrush leaves that they found still clinging they were standing on their hind legs too reach some of them.....

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
I hunt in Athens county, no corn fields around here.

The cow didn't knock over that feeder but they have in the past and might have this week. I'll know in the morning when I go back down.

The nocturnal problem is not exclusive to feeders or bait piles, if they are nocturnal on the corn, they are nocturnal everywhere anyway, you just have a camera to show you they are nocturnal at the bait pile.

If they have enough corn on the ground that there is enough left that they know they can wait until after dark and still go and get some, they will wait until after dark. If they show up after dark and it is all gone they just MIGHT change the schedule a little :) The best way to almost guarantee a buck going nocturnal on a bait pile is to have a pile large enough that he always has food available to him even if he waits until night to go to it. He has little incentive to expose himself for the daytime trip when he knows he can wait and eat all he wants after dark.. Weather, rut, hunting pressure, deer densities, etc, etc all play into each situation keeping me always guessing and not all deer read the same books.

If I could have a way to widely spread-out 5-8 pounds of corn an hour after daylight, in the same area, same time,everyday, without the need to walk in there to do it, I would choose that option every time over some big ugly plastic feeder thingy sitting in the woods for sure. I do NOT run any feeder time after the early AM feeder setting, and I don't dispense much each am. There is typically no corn left at night. They still come at night to check and look for the stray kernel or two, but they don't stay long.

Just my opinion on bait piles and feeders

Good post. I think hunting pressure is the #1 factor. I pour some corn on the ground in a wide circle to get photos, see what's out there, but this year I've went primarily to apples because I've got a neighbor that has two trees. I pour about 10-15 gallons once per week. They last only about two days. Deer are there at all times of the day and night until they are gone. Mature bucks will come to eat them, but not ever at the same time during light. Best luck I've had seeing bucks at feed sites is during the seeking, cruising phase of the rut, mid morning. As everyone else said, snow makes anything you feed more attractive. If ODNR banned baiting it wouldn't bother me a bit.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Interesting, like to hear more about this.

It's just that, I have heard him say it numerous times. He stated he has ran plenty of feeders in the past, but he has far more luck getting mature buck pictures over dumped corn. Other than that the only thing he said was spread it out some to make it look as natural as possible.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
It's just that, I have heard him say it numerous times. He stated he has ran plenty of feeders in the past, but he has far more luck getting mature buck pictures over dumped corn. Other than that the only thing he said was spread it out some to make it look as natural as possible.

Im not sure if it was Mike Rex or who. I heard someone did a test, they had a feeder, and camera setup. The 50 yards away put loose corn and a camera. They had all the mature bucks on the loose corn. Just food for thought! I have always had bigger bucks at piles/spread out compared to a feeder. Unless its really late season or cold!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Just picked up #50 bags today for $6.99 at the local feed mill.

Time to get the feeder out tomorrow and hang a cam or 2 and see what's still alive lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This wen out last Sunday in 3 different piles about 3/4 mile away each.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387456280.053661.jpg

Milo

Tatonka guide.
My mom and dad have ivy growing around the perimeter of their house. basically as a ground cover. The deer have been hammering it and they hardly ever have deer around their house.
I'm planting some next year at my hunting spots.

DO NOT DO THAT!! it will spread and take over trees and the woods. you do not want to mess with this stuff. i have it at my house too and yes the deer hit it but only when heavy snow is on and cold. do a food plot but do not plant this stuff where you cannot control it. Please

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
DO NOT DO THAT!! it will spread and take over trees and the woods. you do not want to mess with this stuff. i have it at my house too and yes the deer hit it but only when heavy snow is on and cold. do a food plot but do not plant this stuff where you cannot control it. Please

Well shucks Eric. I was gonna plant it right by the bamboo I just planted.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
LOL surprised you guys don't have all kinds of honeysuckle taking over your woods yet!

Shit. If it wasn't for honeysuckle we wouldn't have any cover at all. I bet 90% of the woodblocks around here is packed with it.