Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Double Checking Legalities

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
If you shoot a deer that has a "tag" in its ear, but it was running wild on the property you are hunting, it is legal to shoot, correct?

It would be the owner's fault/loss for allowing it to get loose?

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I'm still not able to hunt, but my kids sure are having a riot with it. A family member shot a doe that had a tag in her ear!!!

Eric is out tracking yet another doe (3 taken today) and I can't figure out where they are or what is going on as the doe was stumbling and crying bad, so she should be down. And he didn't push her either, so I don't know....

I could sneak and take a picture of the tagged doe, but thought I should wait and get a picture of the hunter with it!

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Ok, unfortunately the 3rd doe was not recovered. All blood disappeared.

This photo is my son-in-law and he is proud as a peacock to have taken this doe. He uses a "regular" bow, (not a crossbow) and is thinking of having her mounted since this is so rare to come by!

BJs-tagged-doe-1.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
As soon as they get out of their enclosure they're fair game. A guy in VInton county had two breeder bucks get out a few years back. You should have seen the hills crawling with hunters. He raised hell with the warden. Not a thing he could do. The warden told him that if he's sees them he'll dispatch them with a rifle on the spot. Their is zero tolerance for farm deer in the native population.

Also. Check with the DNR and see if it's one of theirs. I know they tag deer sometimes. Still a legal kill even if it is.

Whitetailed deer are a native species, so if it escapes someone's ownership and get killed during hunting season...finders keepers.

The difference is with non-native species. If an elk gets loose and gets killed by a hunter, there is no season or regulations for them in Ohio. That means you could shoot it with a weapon of your choice, day or night. The only recourse the owner would have it to file for personal property damage, to recover the cost of the elk. However, that very seldom happens.

Bowhunter57

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I got TOO thinking afterwards about this. Diane, IF this deer was the property of a private individual, I think it would be highly appropriate ..... to send the tag back to that owner & tell them how tastey it was ... :)

I'm pretty sure it's going on the wall, tag and all, but a thank you card with a picture of some scrumptious meal might be in order! hahaha