Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyotes and no deer...

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
since i am finally going to get a tax return this year i will be buying a rifle. Adam keeps sayin he wants to get after the yotes around here, I'm gonna be good to go.
I would still like to learn more about snaring and trapping them though.

Griz

NH
I could not believe the coyote sign on the public land I was hunting. Every night just before sun down they would start howling and yipping, in a frenzy. Before you new it two, three different locatoins would jump in. Its an eary sound.
I use to run a trap line for them in the 70"s with foot holds. Never did do any snaring. I can see wear calling could be the ticket. does anyone here on site hunt public land in the athens area for them?

Lundy

I hunt private land in the Athens area and it is loaded with yotes. I have them on the trail cams nearly every day.

The farmers dog had a run in a couple of weeks ago with one or more coyotes and lost part of its foot and was bleeding very badly with a leg wound. Farmer though he might not make it from the blood loss. He found the dog by the blood trail. Dog seems like it will live but is still not doing very well.

dante322 said:
...i will be buying a rifle. I would still like to learn more about snaring and trapping them though.
dante322,
Don't be shy about caliber size. There's no such thing as "overkill". A .243 Win. would be a great all around caliber to put them down hard and if you wanted to save the hides, all you'd have to do is shoot them in the head. Some guys prefer a smaller caliber, like a Remington .17 or a .22 Hornet and while these calibers will kill a coyote, a marginal shot will wound and educate more coyotes than it will kill.

* Snaring and/or trapping has the highest success rate, for coyotes.
* A close second is driving, whether it's with a lot of people or a few people and some dogs.
* Coming in third or last, is calling, but it sure is fun and satisfying.

I prefer to call during first or last light, as it's part of the enjoyment of getting to see what's getting called into the call/decoy. I've called at night, many times and have had my share of calling "trash animals". Everything from dogs, cats, horses, cows, deer and even rabbits. Nuts! Nope, I'll call during daylight hours, when I can see what's responding to the call.

Good luck!
Bowhunter57

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
dante322,
Don't be shy about caliber size. There's no such thing as "overkill". A .243 Win. would be a great all around caliber to put them down hard and if you wanted to save the hides, all you'd have to do is shoot them in the head. Some guys prefer a smaller caliber, like a Remington .17 or a .22 Hornet and while these calibers will kill a coyote, a marginal shot will wound and educate more coyotes than it will kill.
I used to have a marlin.30 .30. Loved that gun. Was thinking about getting another one. Second choice was a remington 700 in 30-06.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe I missed it, but what sound were you using in your caller when this female met her maker BH57? Distress call?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I prefer calling at night as the success ratio is generally higher. But them you have to purchase a light with filters. I prefer a handheld and a friend to scan the intended shooting area. My call routine is usually:

Howls
Yips
Cottontail distress

Fox bang : ki-yi

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Interesting. I personally change my call usage based on time of the year. In summer months or up until roughly early January I shy away from starting with howls, female invitations, or territorial barks/challenges. From mid Jan on into March I key in more on the breeding/challenge/invitation calls.

Not saying it is correct as the success rates have not been staggering to be truthful. Typing simply to see if others are having better success with other calls. Might help us all out to "share notes".

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Snareshop.com 11 bucks a dozen for snares. I'm ordering about 10 dozen and I'm gonna knock the piss out of them come February after deer season.