Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My son's 2013 Archery Buck

Spence09

Hello everyone! Dad showed me the link to this site and saw all the congrats... Thanks to everyone!

Here's the story
My buddy and I have been after this deer for 3 falls now. It started with some pics in 2011 that really caught our eye. He had a split g2 that split at the base. Later that fall he broke them both off at the base and every fall since then he has only grown a single g2.

Here a pic from 2011

In 2012 we had a stud show up on camera at a mock scrape. Well since he didn't have the split g2 and that group of pictures had different angles I thought he was a completely different deer while my buddy was dead set it was the split g2 buck. I finally caved in and agreed it was the same deer. And that is how he got the name Dispute. My buddy had a few encounters with him in 2012, one where dispute stayed behind a beech tree and never presented a shot, and another where his release malfunctioned causing him to miss the buck. Also in 2012, I thought I had seen him chasing doe's in a field across from me but never had an opportunity to clearly see him. (Same field I shot him in this passed weekend.)

Here's a 2012 pic
[/URL][/IMG]

Now 2013 rolls around and we set cameras out. Obviously this is the buck we want to walk by a cam. Late in the summer there was a deer either hit by a car or poached at the entrance to the property we hunt that had its head cut off. Instantly we both were pretty disgusted thinking it could have been Dispute. As the summer went on and season came in, still no pics of Dispute.
Saturday comes around and I find out I don't have to work Sunday so I send my buddy a text to see if he wanted to do some hunting. He came back with a yes and we decided where we wanted to go. As it started getting daylight I started noticing that the stand I was in was one of the better stands I have ever been in. Had some doe's come by early and I let them get out of the way before I did a random grunt. That resulted in a 5 point coming to the base of my tree. Not quite the deer I was hoping to have respond but still cool. Well as the 5 point disappeared off behind me I heard a heavy set deer coming off the hill in front of the stand. I turn around and get ready but didn't expect to see Dispute step out in the little field but there he came. Wide eyed and excited I got ready to make a shot because it was happening quick. I thought he was going to offer me a couple of different broadside shots but didn't come down the path he looked like he was going to, instead he walked out my edge of the field. When I got to full draw he stopped behind a tree for a few seconds then stepped out, as I was about to let the arrow fly he took another step and turned towards me and what seemed like he had picked me out. Well I settled the pin in front of his shoulder and touch high and let it fly. Yes this is a bad shot selection, but my shot placement was good and he ran maybe 75 yards and piled up. Boy was I excited! A three year run on a mature deer had come to an end. I texted my buddy and told him the good news and I think he was in shock as well. He deserved to kill the deer more than I did since he had more history and close encounters but I told him I may have shot it, but WE killed it. It really is cool to kill a buck that has some personal history behind it! Turns out he came back to the farm on October 20, 2013.

Here are some pics
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

I look forward to following y'alls stories!

Attachments

• dispute3.jpg
    dispute3.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 88

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Great story and an awesome buck, congrats on an awesome end to a giant. I look forward to the WALL pics of this stud.. What taxi are you going with?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Awesome read man! Congratulations to you and your buddy for tag teaming him and getting him down! Killing a buck with that much history is an unreal experience to go through! Great job and once again thanks for sharing your story! Great stuff!:smiley_clap: