Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio 2013 Rut Report.

Shoulder Blade

Hunted freestyle all day from the ground today. No blind, just sat between 2 big trees at the end of a finger. Not real sure but I think I may have kicked 3 doe out on my way in, although there was a small buck cruising behind them. He busted me but only snorted once.

A few hours later I heard noise behind me. 2 does ran right past me at 7yds. Small single spike was chasing them. In 30 seconds they were there and gone. Luckily it wasn't a shooter but it did make me more focused for the rest of the day.

Mid-day I saw 2 does jogging but nothing pushing.

About 5 the single spike came back in and I decided to screw with him a bit. I love to rattle when there is a dumb small buck in the area, an instant decoy.

I rattled him back in and was ranging him in different shooting lanes. As soon as he left, I rattled again. He came back in but this time a 2.5 yo buck came in as well. I watched the 2 of them for about 15min.

The 2.5yo was all postured out almost like a bull moose. He was clearly superior.

Using the spike for a decoy worked well. Too bad the second deer wasn't bigger, I could have killed them both several times

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great hunt man! I also love to rattle when small bucks are near like that for the same reason. When another buck,hopefully a shooter comes in, he will at least smell the presence of the other buck and maybe get side tracked giving me a shot. Thanks for sharing.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Damn here we go we go a no sleep night. I slammed a monster buck at 4:40 yesterday at about ten yards quartering away. Hunting from the ground the thing about ran over the top of me hunting the edge of a just opened up corn field. Grunted at him to get him to stop and he does looking around but dosn't care about me then he takes a couple step forward and turns to his left and i shoot him at ten yards. Spraying blood out his left side and nose and nothing out the right side. He goes a long ways and the trail we are following is the best blood i have ever seen. We follow him to a thicket were he falls three time buy us seeing three big pools of blood. We say lets get out of here and try in the morning and on the way out jump him again. Hes only going a short ways and then laying down. Damn guys wish me luck please!!! We would have backed out sooner but the blood trail was so good that we thought we were going to walk up on him. Soon as it gets light im gone. I have heard of deer living with one lung but this buck has lost way to much blood. He was blowing lung material out his nose as he walked. Hopefuuly its a recovery and not a search!!!

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Damn here we go we go a no sleep night. I slammed a monster buck at 4:40 yesterday at about ten yards quartering away. Hunting from the ground the thing about ran over the top of me hunting the edge of a just opened up corn field. Grunted at him to get him to stop and he does looking around but dosn't care about me then he takes a couple step forward and turns to his left and i shoot him at ten yards. Spraying blood out his left side and nose and nothing out the right side. He goes a long ways and the trail we are following is the best blood i have ever seen. We follow him to a thicket were he falls three time buy us seeing three big pools of blood. We say lets get out of here and try in the morning and on the way out jump him again. Hes only going a short ways and then laying down. Damn guys wish me luck please!!! We would have backed out sooner but the blood trail was so good that we thought we were going to walk up on him. Soon as it gets light im gone. I have heard of deer living with one lung but this buck has lost way to much blood. He was blowing lung material out his nose as he walked. Hopefuuly its a recovery and not a search!!!

Good luck!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Great hunt man! I also love to rattle when small bucks are near like that for the same reason. When another buck,hopefully a shooter comes in, he will at least smell the presence of the other buck and maybe get side tracked giving me a shot. Thanks for sharing.

Last year I had a small buck come through and work his way past out in to a cut cornfield. For giggles I grunted at him. He turned around and came right back. He walked around in front of my stand looking everywhere for that buck. After about 10 min I heard something behind me on the hill in the thick honeysuckle. I turned my head slowly and saw part of his right beam. It was obviously a shooter. Just then that little buck hears it and goes running up the hill like a excited child. The shooter could hear him running and freaked busting out of there with the little buck in hot pursuit. You'll never catch me messing with scrub bucks again. Cost me a nice buck.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I found it!!!! Started at first light and found were we jumped him last. Walked the edge of a corn field to see if he went in but he didn't. There is a CRP strip that runs the lenght of the creek so i went to the end and did a zig zag walk back to the truck. About 120 yards from the truck im coming out of some low land and see his belly and rack in the grass. Happy Happy Happy!!!! I hit him far back and the bolt traveled up through the chest and didn't come out. I was careful as hell gutting him but did not find it. I will have pics up tonight!!! This is the biggest buck i have ever got and am stoked big time. Thanks for all the good lucks!!!!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I found it!!!! Started at first light and found were we jumped him last. Walked the edge of a corn field to see if he went in but he didn't. There is a CRP strip that runs the lenght of the creek so i went to the end and did a zig zag walk back to the truck. About 120 yards from the truck im coming out of some low land and see his belly and rack in the grass. Happy Happy Happy!!!! I hit him far back and the bolt traveled up through the chest and didn't come out. I was careful as hell gutting him but did not find it. I will have pics up tonight!!! This is the biggest buck i have ever got and am stoked big time. Thanks for all the good lucks!!!!

That's awesome man, nothing better than looking up and seeing a white belly. Cant wait to see the hero shots.

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*

Awesome! Looking forward to the pics and the story. Congrats GT!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Congrats on finding your trophy.... Looking forward too some pictures..... Oh and don't forget too smile lol.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hard to believe you didn't find the bolt. It must have backed its way out as he ran is all I can think. Glad you found him. Congrats!