Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio 2013 Rut Report.

epe

Lancaster
My sister was driving east if Cambridge and saw around 4 dead small bucks within around and ten mile stretch...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Saw 13 does on my road alone tonight, 7 in one group and not a buck to be found. Still some time before it gets hot around here...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Saw a solid buck tonight while driving. Scrapes aren't hit hard like I thought they might have been this morning following the rains. Rubs as Joe said were found. Not sure if I would consider the shooter buck tonight a sign of the rut, or if he just got bumped out of his area or decided to go out for an early snack. Not like he had a doe pinned down in the field or a neon sign flashing "R-U-T" attached to his antlers. Tips of them were nice and white though. He has been working the antlers.

whodey1966

I drove from Hillsboro to Lancaster yesterday and back, and didn't see a single deer! I believe we are still a week away in my area anyways for things to get really good!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Didn't get into the woods today but did see some fitting activity. On our way home from eating after church this morning saw a doe getting dogged by a nice 8 or 10 point. It was about 1:30. Then about an hour ago saw two bucks going at it in a pasture.

The deer are definitely moving.. I drove from Columbus to Cambridge today on I70 East and probably saw between 75 and 100 dead deer on the
highway.. I would say 1/3 of them where bucks.. This is a good sign that the activity is definitely picking up.. I will be in the woods all this week (4th-8th) morning
and evening.. I will keep you guys posted on what I am seeing.. FYI- I will be hunting in Washington county. Good Luck and shoot straight.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Still didn't see any chasing today but I did see a 2yr old 8pt buck who turned his rack into a 6pt rack. Looks like the bucks are tangling but no major seeking from what I have seen so far. I am in Allen county.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
Called in a small 8pt. while goose hunting a field tonight,,I took the top off a duck call and used the bottom insert reed,I made it sound like a grunt,the thing came in from abouty 200yds. to about 25yds.,that thing was so curious,he then wondered off to get chassed off by a really nice buck,I could see a white rack from 200yds. it had a really dark coat on him

Big H

Medina
I grunted in a little guy yesterday morning, he came in on a string. Was back in the same stand this morning and had a 120 8 point come out of a bedding area. I was watching him and then a big doe came flying out of there and just behind her was the best buck I have seen on our property in 15 years. She came within 30 yards of my stand and he was trying to find where she went and never got closer than 55 yards. Crappy thing is he was within 10 yards of the tree I was originally going to hang this set. Big, wide, main frame 10 with a split brow and some junk, and would gross in the 160's. I watched him for a good 4 minutes while he was trying to find her track.

The traditional scrapes were opened up on the logging roads this past week, and there are a few new rubs around the property. It is very close to getting crazy there.

Last edited:

bonzman17

(Saturday morning Mahoning) woke up to a spike running under the stand, he stopped snorted once then went on his way, no new scrapes/rubs. Plenty of doe activity.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
(Saturday morning Mahoning) woke up to a spike running under the stand, he stopped snorted once then went on his way, no new scrapes/rubs. Plenty of doe activity.

I'll be hitting Columbiana county the next two weeks neighbor.... Hoping they start moving here shortly because they're just not showing up when people I talk too are on stand...