Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio 2013 Rut Report.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Once again watched does with fawns in tow tonight. No bucks to be seen. Just seems odd. These aren't my "scrub" properties. I am hunting my honey holes right now with hopes of catching a cruising buck. Going to possibly try a different property tomorrow. Sit in a pinch point and see what happens. Might have to buy another doe tag tonight just to ensure I fill the freezer. Plus if it is slow and a good sized doe comes along, I doubt I will be able to hold back. lmao

I'd keep doing what your doing. Things change over night...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I'd keep doing what your doing. Things change over night...

I sure hope you are right JD. I have note joyed this Rut as much as others. I do have a doe with a white patch on her shoulder that interests me but I may let her live on to see what offspring she produces.

NE-Oh-Hunter

NE Ohio
Been a member before but lost membership details so starting over. Thought I would also share my experience. I hunt in NE Ohio. Saw a group of 8 does, sometimes together, sometimes as (5+3) 3 times hunting in early in October. Then they literally disappeared. No hunting sighting and no trailcam pics. Then the bucks starting moving in on trailcam. This was prob mid October. One giant, one odd-shaped wide 6, and the rest little 1.5 year olds--7 bucks in total all with distinct racks. Took a "doe" a week ago to fill the freezer. One of the basket 8 1.5 year olds was following her. After I downed it, I found out it was one of the 1.5 fork-horns that had already had both antlers ripped off. Never saw that before. So much for the seeking phase--it was just bucks hanging out.

I've been hunting pretty hard for the last two weeks. I've consistently had 1-2 of the 1.5 year olds come through at dusk or dawn to feed, but not care to seek or anything else. I consistently have the other bucks on trail cam between 10pm-4am. I came back to the forums because I thought my hunting place was skunked. I'm not "glad" to hear no one else is seeing much, but at least it gives me hope that it's not just me. At this point last year, I had already seen tons of chasing and some of the bigger deer were already locked in. One, by 11/7 last year, was already on to his second or third conquests. Anyway, praying this weekend changes things. Anyone else have the doe just disappear?

Shoulder Blade

I go to work for 2 hrs tomorrow morning then off to the shower and woods. I am so excited!!!

My buddy will be there at sunup so I will have an idea of what to expect when I arrive.

Gordo

Athens County
I sure hope you are right JD. I have note joyed this Rut as much as others. I do have a doe with a white patch on her shoulder that interests me but I may let her live on to see what offspring she produces.

When u least expect it buddy. Stick with it. Happened to me tonight after many a slow hours on stand. Very much worth grinding it out

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Saw my very first rut sign this morning at 3:36 in my neighbors yard just before I pulled into our driveway. Just a small buck dogging 3-4 does.

Hunter II

Little bucks feeling frisky this morning.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
HA. Nice pic!

I got up at day break today and drove around for an hour before work. Saw a few signs things are on the verge, but it reaffirmed I should go to work. I'll be off Monday for sure, then I'll play it by ear.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm officially off to hunt this evening through Monday, Wednesday, Friday though Sunday with one remaining day for that following week. That leaves me 3 days, one for gun opener and 2 for the last two days of the year. Hopefully 7-8 days of well time rut hunting is enough to scratch the itch!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Good luck . I'm hitting it hard the next 4 days . Back to work Tuesday . Hopefully find a big one that ain't locked down .

NE-Oh-Hunter

NE Ohio
Went out this morning and had one of the 1.5 year olds run in to feed. I was hoping something was chasing him but I think he was running as he got scared by a car. One part of his antler was ripped off (know this from trail cam pics). I sure pray the bad boy that is doing all this damage to these younger bucks will come around. Woods were super quiet other than that.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm certain the good ones are locked down on my piece of the county. I saw two out in the middle of cornfields with does this morning. Neither moved more than 100yds all morning. I saw 4 little bucs, passed the biggest @ 20yds. He may have been 115". Snuck up on a little buck on the way out. Got within 10 yds to film him. :).