Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio 2013 Rut Report.

Ohio 2013 Rut Report.

As things heat up across the state I figured it would be nice to have a central location to look for field reports on the rut.

I pass a small deer farm daily with bucks and does in pens. I usually pull over and watch for a bit. The bucks watch the does but aren't dogging them around the pens yet.

Woods or baseball field... take your pick.
    Saw a 120" buck doing a little sniffing and light pushing yesterday evening. Smaller bucks were in the same field and showed no interest in the doe yet. I did hear a buck grunt Sunday morning.

On the 26th and 27th both morning hunts only I seen 4 bucks going down my main N-S trail through my woods. Seen no does. Not really sure what that all means.
    Oh I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Maybe people post what part of the state too. I was out in eastern Ohio - senneca lake area Saturday. Saw 5 does, no bucks chasing. Few rubs and scrapes.

Woods or baseball field... take your pick.
    My report was eastern Ohio, Jefferson County.

*Co-Owner - Admin* bowhunter1023's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The buck I saw on Friday night was doing nothing more than working on his neck muscles. Solid 150+ shooter that was perfectly content working out and sticking to his bedding area. I messed with a little 6 on Sunday morning with the bleat call and he never paid attention to it. IMO, it is still a week early. This weather the next 3-4 days will mellow them out. If we get a cold snap next weekend (11/8-11/11) it will be rocking...
    "And a country boy is all I'll ever be..."

Live to hunt. Hunt to live. It's just how I live...

A buddy a mine posted on FB last night he had 4 bucks come into a creek bottom running the piss out of a mature doe. He couldn't get either of the 2 shooters to stop for a shot. This was in central Ohio.

I'm hunting Logan county and all I'm seeing is bucks really hitting the scrapes. Had a dink right under me last night. Eight does were in the bean field behind me and he just looked at them. If you hunt fence rows and ditches like me that's the perfect place to kill your buck now...

ive seen some smaller bucks messing with some does. saw a big guy last night with 2 does but not chasing just hanging out. dad had a 130 chasing around him last week. but i think its a week away, central ohio area for me.

nothin here in southeast ohio for me yet..not even seeing the normal rubs and scrapes yet

6 does last night feeding and one small buck feeding and he never paid any attention to them.The bucks are hitting the scrapes hard but all my pics of them are still at night.Central Ohio

Athens County - Just started seeing rubs increase over the week-end and still seeing bachelor groups of bucks together. Not seen or heard from many landowners around where I hunt that there has been any chasing or more big buck sightings so I think it still about 7-10 days out... atleast in that area

I was out on Saturday. I seen 5 different bucks not a single DOE. The bucks appeared to be looking for them.
    You cant kill them from the Couch

Everything is right on schedule in SW Ohio, IMO. Bucks are showing interest in does, does aren't standing still for 'em, but will before long. Small bucks cruising, bigger ones seem to be starting to get the urge to merge too.

Ohio 2013 Rut Report.

SE Ohio, 17 deer in 2 days of hunting. One chase which involved 2 does and 2 bucks (8pt and spike). Scrapes are becoming more active but all the bigger bucks are still nightly visitors. Should he right on pace with last year, next week should be great, the extended forecast shows a couple lows in the 20's.....

I watched a upper 150's buck chase a doe all over a bean field tonight. She was 1 out of 17....

Athens County: Scrapes exploded over the weekend. I saw a 135-140" 8 point just out milling around Sunday eve.

Morgan County: The buck my son killed came in to blind grunting.

Ohio 2013 Rut Report.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencie View Post
    Athens County: Scrapes exploded over the weekend. I saw a 135-140" 8 point just out milling around Sunday eve.

Morgan County: The buck my son killed came in to blind grunting.
    Good to hear spencie. Ive seen the scrape explosion and new bucks showing up. No good fired up bucks or chasing seen yet on stand.

I keep close tabs on properties all over the county and am quite certain its steaming on a couple of them. Just hasnt happened on the one that the deer im hunting is on.

Lookin forward to a long sit tomorrow morning. I love overcast days.

Just returned from Jefferson Co after a 5 day hunt.

Does are in the lull staying well hidden. It's because of warm weather, clear skies at night, leaf drop, and their fear that little buck will bother them.
    Small bucks are abundant and on their feet during daylight hours.
    Scrap lines are active and lively.
    Mature bucks are still in beds and are nocturnal.
    Most of the deer movement occurs after dark.
    99%er

I hunt in Clinton county, last two sits I have seen 2 bucks, Watched one make a scrape, grunted at him he ran to about 40 yards from me but no shot, Hunted last night seen two does, no bucks. Have not witnessed any any chasing yet.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast