Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer poop

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
What I did read once is poo stuck together in clumps, means the deer just got up from sleeping or a nap. Extra large clumps is old doe or buck usually.

I believe J is right with the even numbers doe odd numbers buck.....Cause I heard it on the CB Radio once....rotflmao

CB the precursor too the intranet.... Al gore invented the CB as well.... Did you know that Rick? Read it on the intranet.... lol

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
FYI, the best way to know for 100% if its a buck is to grab a handful and squeeze it really tight.. If it mushes out between your fingers then you sure do have yourself a handful of shit. meaning yup you found some. lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So I'm guessing your guys poop stays the same everyday of the year and someone could look at it and know that it's you?:)

Exactly. I used to believe the clumps or "grenades" as I call them were bucks. Someone mentioned what you referenced to my one time Lundy. I chuckled out of naivety, because it made way too much sense. I no longer believe piles of pellets are doe and clumps are buck. Thus the reason I was curious as to input regarding the size. Either way, I would just about have to believe it is a seriously large bodied deer.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I've been naive then. I totally thought big clumps were bucks. I found one that was literally the same size as a water bottle. I thought, wow that has to be a buck....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If I had to guess I would say acorns and corn. That is the main food source in this area. All beans have been picked for awhile now. Acorns are sitting on the ground untouched, so I would say corn equates clumpy. lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Cotty. Interesting article given my find. Sounds like buck or doe cannot be determined by shape has been verified. Sounds like size of turd doesn't dictate sex either. Only thing which could be determined, based on the article, is pellet count can sometimes point towards a buck. I didn't count them, but have zero doubt the pellet count was high. lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yeah, but I don't know Jack Schitt.

You're welcome guys. That's not the article I read before, but basically the same info. The one I read was about 15 years ago.

So you are saying there were two authors who said the "Same shit. Different day?"

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've always been told it's a mature deer eating woody browse. Lots of cellulose and fiber make for clumpy poop. The mature part comes in because. Well. How often have you seen small clumpy poop. It's always large.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Right or wrong I still believe big grenade turds come from bucks. I know diet is a huge part of it like what Joe just posted but I'm thinking the digestive systems are a contributing factor as well. Normally when I have found big grenade turds there have been bigger heavy tracks, this is what I'm hanging my hat on.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Big turd = Bid Ahole.

I know it's humorous, but I scout with that mindset. My dog is 100 pounds and his dumps are impressive. A 60 pound dog can't shit like that. I drop massive dumps with regularity and I'm essentially a 4.5 year old 140-145" whitetail. lmao

So in my simple mind, a big pile of shit is worth noting when scouting!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Right or wrong I still believe big grenade turds come from bucks. I know diet is a huge part of it like what Joe just posted but I'm thinking the digestive systems are a contributing factor as well. Normally when I have found big grenade turds there have been bigger heavy tracks, this is what I'm hanging my hat on.

I'm with Ric on this one as well.... I was always told big solid clumps meant buck sign.... Until I see a doe drop a deuce like then I'm sticking with that train of thought....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know it's humorous, but I scout with that mindset. My dog is 100 pounds and his dumps are impressive. A 60 pound dog can't shit like that. I drop massive dumps with regularity and I'm essentially a 4.5 year old 140-145" whitetail. lmao

So in my simple mind, a big pile of shit is worth noting when scouting!

I concur. Most definitely worth noting. Big turd equals big deer no matter what the gender. This big? Well, I haven't seen any 250lb does lately. . . If ever.