Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A day to experiment new gear

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I went out and hunted my new ladder stand in my woods for the 1st time this year. Seems like I used 5 new items today for the 1st time.

1. Big Boy 2 man 17 ft. wrap around stand. A great stand and rock solid. I installed a plastic chair seat on it and it worked great and makes it a 12 hr. stand in comfort. I'm going to install a plywood shelf under the seat on the bottom tubing that attachs on the tree. That'll make a good extra storage area and a place to set the heater during really cold weather.

2. Big Boy ladder stand enclosure. Sure kept the 15-20 MPH wind off me when it started blowing. It'll make the stand rain proof when it rains. I only wished they would have installed the windows from the top rather from the bottom. That way I could open the window from the bottom and only open what needed. But it'll work. Couple attached pockets on the sides would be handy for small items. I'll attach a 12 in. heavy piece of dark clothe at the top of the East window to block out the raising sun.

3. IQ bow sight. I really like it. But I'm quite sure the retna lock works. Seems like I have to change position to see it. More experience on that one.

4. HS Slam Talker grunt call. I'm glad I seen it posted on TOO as it's the best grunt call I've used in 25 yrs. I called in a small buck 1st time out.

5. Knight & Hale Da Bonehead rattle blocks. They are compact and really sound real.

Had a great 4 hrs. this morning. I soft grunted and used the rattle blocks about 9:00AM and 5 minutes later a small forkhorn came down the main trail I was setting on looking for what ever made the noise. He never knew I was there. He came from the South with the wind to his back. When he got down wind of me at 20 yds. he just stood around and was not alarmed. He kept smelling the air. I assume he was testing my smoked up scent control and the Ever calm Deer Herd I had on my boots.

At a little after 11:00AM when the wind was gusting 15-20 MPH I called it quits for the day.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Old dog trying to learn new tricks? lol

Glad you shared your experiences Frank. Sounds like you are ready for the rut.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Old dog trying to learn new tricks? lol

Glad you shared your experiences Frank. Sounds like you are ready for the rut.

Talk about old dogs. I forgot I had #6 with me. My son gave me his Play Back action cam to use. I have it mounted on the bow couple inches above the bow sight. But I didn't even think to pick my bow up on the little bugger.
Do you think that is the old dog thing kicking in?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No way Frank. I have grown up in the age of electronics. Doesn't mean I remember to use them in the heat of the moment. Sometimes we just enjoy the experience. No need to record anything or jump on our phone to text our friends. Just some "me time" in the woods.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Update after the buck harvest. Since it was only a 2 day hunt of about 4 hrs. each. It's not really a good test. But.
1. The Big Boy 2 man wrap around treestand is 2nd to none in quality. It made no noise when moving around.
2. The Big Boy stand enclosure helped also as it hides you in the stand. I had my grandson go up in the stand and the only thing you can see from the ground is your head. It'll keep the rain and wind off you also. It's a keeper.
3. Knight and Hale Da Bonehead rattle block really sound real to me. I found by let them sorta float in your hand when using the sound was not dulled out by holding the chambers tight. It's compact and a keeper.
4. H&S Slam Talker grunt call is easy to use and a keeper.
5. The IQ bow sight showed up bright and it's a keeper.

I think I figured out why the buck turned off the trail and walked towards me. I had smeared a good amount of Deer Ever Calm on the tree I had my stand attached to. It was about 4 ft. high.