Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I am crazy! (bows)

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Ok so I bought a new Helim last year, I love it, and I shoot the piss outta it!

Well now living in Texas, I am thinking about buying a bow for Texas, and leaving my mathews in Ohio. I really really really like the G5 series. I have the cash if I wanna buy one, and set it up nice, but I dont really neeed it.

Advice?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You only live once, but just remember bows are one of the worst investments ever. lol

If I didn't "need" it. . . .probably spend the money on something else or pay off any debts or chunk it into my retirement. You are young. You have the power of compounding interest in your favor. The more you stash away now, the less you will have to later. Trust me (and probably most of the others on here), the older you get the tougher it is to save for retirement. Wives, kids, house, bills seems to all get in the way.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Why not just take your Mathews.

well this year I am hunting with my Mathews but I was thinking of leaving it at home in Ohio. Buying a bow in Texas and not having to worry about transportation of them. Plus its a decent excuse to buy another bow??

at1010

*Supporting Member*
You only live once, but just remember bows are one of the worst investments ever. lol

If I didn't "need" it. . . .probably spend the money on something else or pay off any debts or chunk it into my retirement. You are young. You have the power of compounding interest in your favor. The more you stash away now, the less you will have to later. Trust me (and probably most of the others on here), the older you get the tougher it is to save for retirement. Wives, kids, house, bills seems to all get in the way.

That makes so much sense, I kind of hate you for it! HAHAHA I know I save a lot of my money, but those g5 bows really just look so sweet!

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I bought a G5 Prime Defy this year and love it. That being said, saving your cash is always a good idea. You could also put it towards something else you need for hunting like clothes, a treestand, etc.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I shot Beener's Impact at the summer Too gathering and was very impressed. If I was in the market at the moment I'd give that bow a hard look for sure.

teej89

NE PA
hell yeah get it! Knowing that your bow will be there when you land and it'll be shooting just the same as when you last left it is one less thing you'll have to worry about. Plus if/when you move back to ohio you'll have two :D and more is ALWAYS better lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That makes so much sense, I kind of hate you for it! HAHAHA I know I save a lot of my money, but those g5 bows really just look so sweet!

Al- Someone had to be the party pooper/voice of reason/"Dad voice" in your head. lmao

Honestly, only you know your financial position and that is the way it should be. If you can afford it and still have a nice cushion then go for it. Just saying, at your age I started investing. I had no wife, no kids, no house, and I have only one regret. I regret not putting more back at the time.

Then again, you are young and out seeing the world already. You ARE living life. You might as well experience as much as you can. Does that help your decision? lmao

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Get it, get it, get it. Lmao.

Here is mine...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382694742466.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382694742466.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 112

Big H

Medina
I am with Hicks on this one. Sorry. Compounding interest is your friend, especially the younger you start. Life can change for any of us in an instant, I am speaking from experience and am actually living it now with my wife. Remember to "pay yourself first" out of EVERY paycheck. Don't stop living and doing what you want, but make sure that you younger guys are putting a significant portion of your money into investments. 401 K, IRA, mutual funds etc... Best way is to have the money automatically taken out of your bank account EVERY month and if your company has a 401 K option every week. Maximize what you put in while you are younger.

Just my 2 cents

at1010

*Supporting Member*
1. Thanks for all the suggestions- Those bows are soo sweet, I am gunna just shoot one today, and let it cook in my head to see what I want to do.

2. I appreciate the guys who gave "Dad" advice. That is why this forum is the best on the internet.

3. I do invest. I have a full 401k, Roth IRA, Savings Funds, A few stocks, and Some life insurance things. (financial buddies are great to have)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
1. Thanks for all the suggestions- Those bows are soo sweet, I am gunna just shoot one today, and let it cook in my head to see what I want to do.

2. I appreciate the guys who gave "Dad" advice. That is why this forum is the best on the internet.

3. I do invest. I have a full 401k, Roth IRA, Savings Funds, A few stocks, and Some life insurance things. (financial buddies are great to have)

Rock on brother. Sounds like you have had someone shove you off in the right direction. "Just going to shoot one" means you are buying one. Just thought I would say out loud what you are trying to deny in your head. lmao

All the G5 Primes are nice bows. If you really want a second hunting bow why not give some thought to a used bow. Hoyt just announced their new line up and bowtech just came out with replacements a new bow and will be replacing the Insanity CPX with a new bow. That means a ton of Hoyt spyders 30/34, spyder turbos, matrix g3's, element g3's, and Bowtech insanity's are going to get unloaded on archery talk. All of which are awesome bows. I put 30 percent of my months earnings plus what I get back in taxes and tdy/deployment per diem in savings. 99.9% of my entertainment buget goes into archery and hunting.