Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rescued a spike buck today

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
What a crazy morning! I had just arrived at work and one of my students came running in telling me "a big buck is stuck in your batting cage by the field!" I, of course, immediately asked how big and he just responded "huge"! Lol

I got another teacher to watch my homeroom and ran out to the field and found the giant stuck in the net by his little spikes ;)

When he saw me he started freaking out, jumping and flailing allover the place.
spike1.jpg

I went to my truck and grabbed my hunting knife to try and cut him free, but he wouldn't let me anywhere near him and at one point jumped high enough that he cleared my height. So, I stood back and we eyeballed each other and my wheels turned...
spike2.JPG

As I was thinking, I called the local police because we get a lot of people that walk around the track outside the field and I know they would've called anyway. They were out on a call and would be up shortly. I finally decided that I ether needed a long pruning pole to cut the net or a long extension pole with a saw or my knife taped to the end may do the trick. I ran back into the building and grabbed a pole from the janitor. I asked for a saw and he had none (WTF?) so I taped my knife on the end.

He and another teacher ran back out with me and found the cop already there. He too was wondering what to do and was debating on shooting it. I told him to wait and see if we can free him. He was healthy other than the tangled mess.

Then the fire department showed up and brought out two harpoon looking poles to help control the deer and hold the net still so we could cut.
spike3.jpg

It took about 20 minutes of cutting, but we were finally able to get enough cut that the little guy could rip his way out of the rest. It was pretty nerve racking when he was getting freed. He was really confused on which way to go and he kept running in circles. None of us knew where to go and he kept stumbling around grunting and wheezing. He finally took off, ran into the 3rd baseline fence, gathered himself and ran up the hill behind the field.
spike4.JPG

As he ran off, the left over net was still in his spikes. He looked like he dread locks Andrew McCutchen style. LOL! He went to the top of the hill and just stood there looking around. I think he was just whipped. Who knows how long he was there.

Hopefully he makes it. Hopefully the left over net doesn't cause him issues. Either way, at least we gave him a chance.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good for you Mike.... Probably made for good topic back in class as well.... Shows you're not just a killer of deer and bunnies.....