Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Strouds 2014

When to hit Strouds...

• Early Muzzleloader

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Weekend after Muzzy

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Whenever is good for me...

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I voted for early muzzy season, if we have it. It's a lot easier to sneak up on a deer within gun range than it is to kill one with a bow in unfamiliar surroundings. None of us are overly familiar with that area. If I weren't sitting with Mason, I would have been out searching exactly as Joe and some others did. I'm pretty sure I'd have more luck with a gun than I would a bow.

Keep in mind too, the more we change things, the more they are changed... Everyone seemed to go away from the weekend pretty happy. Whatever we decide to change may take some of the fun out of the thing. For instance, I love to hunt in snow, but there is no way I'm going to spend two days out in that crap being all sweaty, then cold and wet. Aint gonna happen.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I like the idea of a real muzzy camp, but that cramps the rabbit hunt. Having 3 gatherings a year is about right with how we have them spaced. We could do a muzzy camp though for those that wanted to do that...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I say next year we find one of these deer hating farmers around Athens. Throw 20 bucks each his way for the weekend lease. Pre bait the hell out of the place and kill them like mad. We could even find a place with an available acre for camping. We could bait and use quads for deer retrieval. And if we get down in the flats it's fat boy friendly.

I think we could kill a ton more deer like that on public. And no hippies to deal with.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I am up for whenever I will either muzzleload or squirrel hunt.

What about a turkey hunt in the spring?

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Would have to be a week or so later then it was this year. Way to much green and ground clutter. Made it hard to see anything lol. I am taking the shotgun and .22 next year. If I can't find a deer I sure as hell will blast a few tree rats.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I say next year we find one of these deer hating farmers around Athens. Throw 20 bucks each his way for the weekend lease. Pre bait the hell out of the place and kill them like mad. We could even find a place with an available acre for camping. We could bait and use quads for deer retrieval. And if we get down in the flats it's fat boy friendly.

I'm sure all you youngins would appreciate that :smiley_crocodile:
(pretty sure I would too :smiley_coolpeace: And 4 wheelers? hell yeah)

Huckleberry Finn

Fugg you buddy!

Huckleberry Finn

I voted for early muzzy season, if we have it. It's a lot easier to sneak up on a deer within gun range than it is to kill one with a bow in unfamiliar surroundings. None of us are overly familiar with that area. If I weren't sitting with Mason, I would have been out searching exactly as Joe and some others did. I'm pretty sure I'd have more luck with a gun than I would a bow.

Keep in mind too, the more we change things, the more they are changed... Everyone seemed to go away from the weekend pretty happy. Whatever we decide to change may take some of the fun out of the thing. For instance, I love to hunt in snow, but there is no way I'm going to spend two days out in that crap being all sweaty, then cold and wet. Aint gonna happen.

I'd agree with this. If you gun hunt you don't have to mess around with hanging stands either. Gun is simply easier.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Yeah i wouldn't count on the early muzzleloader season to be the same as this year. I voted for bow season because I dont like the idea of not being able to shoot a buck if one comes in, but I would be happy with either or. I really would enjoy a squirrel camp as well.

Huckleberry Finn

Actually if they brought the extra gun weekend back after gun season, that'd be fun to shuck shells...

I think we just pick the dumbest or newest DNR season and go from there.

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh

I agree with this.. Either way I will have my bow with me as it is my weapon of choice.. I would be more than willing to throw in some $ for corn or whatever to bait them with..