Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mike T's feedback

Lundy

Curious what Mike T had to say about the apparent success or failure in participation on the new 2 day MZ season?

Did he think the projected participation and kill will meet objectives and expectations?

The warm weather had to drive down the participation just as it has been doing in the bow harvest up to now. Of course he was visiting with a camp full of guys that were hunting a season that most in attendance were opposed to.:)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
He seems to be under the belief that it will be a direct replacement for bonus gun harvest and participation as of three years ago. I think he's in for a disappointment this morning. The only guns I could hear were ours.

I also do not understand the opposition to this season from Bowhunters. It's the October lull. It's hot as hell. I would trade a weekend of bowhunting in October for one in December any day. Also. Now we will have more time between shotgun and muzzy for the deer to calm down and we can bowhunt them without having 3 strung apart gun seasons to mess them up.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm with Joe, I don't think the numbers will be nearly what some of us thought (myself included). I was out hanging stands most of the day Saturday and never heard one shot from 8 am to 1 pm.
My hysteria that drives would be put on was also a false alarm from what I could see. My biggest fear was drives being put on and screwing up deer patterns, but I don't think it happened to the degree I imagined if at all.

It was a great opportunity to get some first timers on deer though. I didn't take my kids out only because it was so damn warm and we had stuff going on, but I know at Strouds some kids got their first deer and that's awesome in my book.

Lundy

I couldn't make it down to Strouds this weekend to meet you guys, wish I could have.

I did see a few guys Saturday morning around Ashville coming out of a few hunting areas. They were all wearing orange but carrying a bow. I heard a couple of shots Saturday evening near my home towards dark, but I always hear some shots near my home in or out of season:)

It would be hard to think that the statewide harvest will be very high.

Thanks for the feedback

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
On the flipside, I saw Kaiser had posted a pic on Facebook of some dude from Twitter that helped his son take his first buck this weekend with a crossbow. The same guy also posted a pic of his dad's archery buck from this weekend as well. I wonder what will come of that?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
On the flipside, I saw Kaiser had posted a pic on Facebook of some dude from Twitter that helped his son take his first buck this weekend with a crossbow. The same guy also posted a pic of his dad's archery buck from this weekend as well. I wonder what will come of that?

I'm willing to bet there will be tons on leniency granted this year for bow shot bucks.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I also do not understand the opposition to this season from Bowhunters. It's the October lull. It's hot as hell. I would trade a weekend of bowhunting in October for one in December any day. Also. Now we will have more time between shotgun and muzzy for the deer to calm down and we can bowhunt them without having 3 strung apart gun seasons to mess them up.

What he said. If people understand what this season is about and follow the laws, I'm alright with it as well. My biggest issue are the idiots, uninformed, and those who will cheat the system regardless. I think this season makes it easier to cheat when combined with Telecheck.

reo

N.E. Ohio
I'm with Joe, I don't think the numbers will be nearly what some of us thought (myself included). I was out hanging stands most of the day Saturday and never heard one shot from 8 am to 1 pm.
My hysteria that drives would be put on was also a false alarm from what I could see. My biggest fear was drives being put on and screwing up deer patterns, but I don't think it happened to the degree I imagined if at all.

It was a great opportunity to get some first timers on deer though. I didn't take my kids out only because it was so damn warm and we had stuff going on, but I know at Strouds some kids got their first deer and that's awesome in my book.

Agreed. I will also admit to thinking the masses would be out using their tried and true methods used during gun (both shotgun and muzzleloader) seasons of the past. Much to my relief there was very little participation and the "gun crowds" were nowhere to be found. Heard only about 6 shots all day.

It seems entirely possible that this season did not achieve the results desired by big insurance and the OFB and I am concerned what "adjustments" will be made in the future......

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I don't mind the early muzzy doe season, BUT I would honestly rather see it be two days before the archery season, that way it still allows the weekend warriors (which is myself now) to be able to buck hunt during the regular archery season. I DONT believe in the October Lull, so all this did was push the deer that I was chasing further into being nocturnal. Heard four shots last night within 150-200 yards of myself. I went out to basically scout since I couldn't buck hunt, and NEVER saw a deer at a place I've been seeing 7+ a night. I actually moved closer to their bedding to try and locate the buck I'm after but I'm sure with Saturdays shooting they are sitting tight til after dark now.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think it was a great trade off for the "bonus" gun weekend. I hope we keep it if it means we do not get back the "bonus" weekend.

One thing Tonk said this weekend that I found encouraging for my area: he believes he can up the participation and therefore the kill for guns by shortening the season. From my perspective, I think it's a GREAT idea, but I don't think it will work as he believes to increase the kill. IMO, too many people are accustomed to waiting on the other guys to bump deer to them, and therefore everyone is sitting and waiting...there are not many "other guys" out there anymore IMO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What he said. If people understand what this season is about and follow the laws, I'm alright with it as well. My biggest issue are the idiots, uninformed, and those who will cheat the system regardless. I think this season makes it easier to cheat when combined with Telecheck.

This is what bothers me the most as well.

It is good to hear the report from Brock. I would agree his plan seems to be flawed and won't work. Someone else mentioned the other thing which bothers me. IF they decide they are not seeing the harvest numbers they are looking for, just what will be implemented in the future? This scares me the most.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Did anyone ask why they keep reporting 750k deer population every year or was this one more like a pampered chef party too?

No, it was not a pampered chef party. He was presented with numbers from years past vs numbers from more current years. He had replies for most everything, sometimes the replies were not on topic, but replies none the less. I don't want to get into what that conversation entailed here, perhaps we can start another thread on the matter.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No, it was not a pampered chef party. He was presented with numbers from years past vs numbers from more current years. He had replies for most everything, sometimes the replies were not on topic, but replies none the less. I don't want to get into what that conversation entailed here, perhaps we can start another thread on the matter.

Yep. Same old same old. They're going to keep trying to kill more deer. Manage by counting dead deer instead if live ones. Keep the farmers happy. (Which really means farm bureau backed by insurance companies. - not his words he would talk about politicians and their impact on the DNR). They're 70% ish to their goal. They want the kill at about 170k. He doesn't think they'll get there as he thinks they can only lower it so much and they're about there. Mostly Because people will quit hunting thus reducing their ability to lower it more.

They lowered the tag limits to 4 to show that they care and are listening to us. So he does fight for us. So much so he had to face some pissed off farmers that ambushed him over the reduction and had to explain to them it doesn't matter because less than 2% of hunters kill 3 or more deer anyway. So really lowering them doesn't do anything, just makes it look like they care. Blowing smoke. Btw these complaining farmers had kill permits and did not allow hunting. They killed 7 deer and should have killed 1 for every 25 acres so 78 total.

We ned to turn in our hunter surveys so he can get better data. It's too hard to get better data by actually counting deer like other states do. Even though the DNR counts turkey gobbles, bog turtles, peeper frogs, and a host of other wildlife. But it's too hard and expensive to count deer.

The Wisconsin DNR got fired because they didn't communicate to the hunters. Not because they lied to their hunters. Reduced the population drastically. Pissed the hunters off when they figured it out. The governor was up for reelection and wanted the hunters vote so he audited their DNR. Found out the hunters were right. Fired the DNR and took over. But Tonk says there are still deer starving to death in Wisconsin and the DNR should have done a better job of communicating that to hunters thus they got unjustly mad. It was a communication issue. Not a we pissed everybody off by lowering the deer population issue. And funny thing is the Wisconsin DNR has far far far more data on their website about their deer reduction goals than we do.

Let's see. I think that's about it. Hello my darling hello my baby hello my rag time gal.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The starving deer I think are in the agricultural area of WI, SCentral and SW, I think he said. I started another thread where I'd like to see what you guys think he said...we tend to hear different things.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The starving deer I think are in the agricultural area of WI, SCentral and SW, I think he said. I started another thread where I'd like to see what you guys think he said...we tend to hear different things.

And a convenient no mention of the snow.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If he did say the southern regions, as I thought he did, snow would not be much of a factor. In the northern regions, snow would more likely be, but that is something WI has always dealt with.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If he did say the southern regions, as I thought he did, snow would not be much of a factor. In the northern regions, snow would more likely be, but that is something WI has always dealt with.

Yep. Remember when Shane went out there and said there was dead deer all up and down the fence rows from the previous winter. That was WI right.