Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

FYI...No Bucks taken during the ML Season!

Not only do Muzzleloader hunters have to shoot antlerless deer, but so do the archery hunters. If you elect to not hunt with a muzzleloader and go deer hunting with your bow, you can NOT shoot a buck on the 12th and 13th.

Page 10 of the regulations, in the section of "A Deer Hunter CAN Do The Following", rule #8.
"Deer archery hunt during the antlerless deer muzzleloader season. Archery hunters must comply with the hunter orange requirement and can only take antlerless deer during the season."

I'm guessing that there will be some bucks checked in on Monday. :smiley_chinrub:
I never liked the idea of losing the bonus days after the Deer Gun Season and having to live with ML hunters wondering through or "pushing" the sections in the area. If there's enough hunters out stirring up the deer, they won't settle down for two weeks. :smiley_depressive:

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

bonemonger

kinsman ohio
buddy was hunting in Coshocton yesterday and went to eat lunch and a guy had a 8 point in the bed of his truck, he talked to the guy and told him it was doe only. guy had already checked the buck in. guess is he will be getting a visit very soon.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
buddy was hunting in Coshocton yesterday and went to eat lunch and a guy had a 8 point in the bed of his truck, he talked to the guy and told him it was doe only. guy had already checked the buck in. guess is he will be getting a visit very soon.

Uh oh. At least it was an ignorance mistake rather than a deliberate FU.

mightymet

I wonder what the DNR will do about it. Will they require him to surrender the deer? I doesn't bother me that it was a doe only weekend. What bothers me is the fact that so any people don't bother to look at the rules. Also while sitting in my stand I noticed that there are some people who can reload so fast it's like they are using a shotgun. Also sounded like a shotgun. You would think these morons would at least wait a little bit between shots. Made me laugh. The DNR has made it really easy to get away with doing why ever you want. If your even honest enough to check it in no one will now how you killed it because you don't have to show it to anyone. Oh well.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree BH57, that was the assumption around our camp this weekend. Monday-Wednesday will be days where there will be a spike in buck harvest numbers...during the October lull even! Haha

mightymet said:
I wonder what the DNR will do about it. What bothers me is the fact that so any people don't bother to look at the rules.
I'm certain that they'll gather some evidence, in the way of questions about time/place and weapon used. After that, it will depend entirely on the GW, as to how much he'll get charged and how much equipment used in the violation process. In other words, he may get a fine and lose his hunting privileges for a year...OR they'll take the deer, his bow, he'll get a fine (while in court + court costs) and lose his license for a year.

As for looking at the rules, I agree to a point. In the past the ODNR has highlighted changes in RED and this was new this year, so it was a change. It might've been caught by those that would've read for any new changes. The only "heads up" or warning you might get, is when you purchased you license at Walmart, there are red highlighted letters for the employee to read to the customer. What's the odds of a Walmart employee catching something like that? You might have better odds at Las Vegas.

Bowhunter57

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I wonder what the DNR will do about it. Will they require him to surrender the deer? I doesn't bother me that it was a doe only weekend. What bothers me is the fact that so any people don't bother to look at the rules. Also while sitting in my stand I noticed that there are some people who can reload so fast it's like they are using a shotgun. Also sounded like a shotgun. You would think these morons would at least wait a little bit between shots. Made me laugh. The DNR has made it really easy to get away with doing why ever you want. If your even honest enough to check it in no one will now how you killed it because you don't have to show it to anyone. Oh well.

I disagree the DNR has made it easier for law abiding people to do things. Someone who is going to break the law is going to do it regardless and telecheck or in person check isn't going to matter. As far as showing someone, can you really tell the difference between a slug and a muzzleloader bullet hole because I can't.

Prior to telecheck there was NO legal way to turkey hunt in Knox country on sundays. There were no check stations that were open on sunday in that county or any of the neighboring ones. I found this out when I went to go turkey hunting one day and wanted to know where to check on in.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Truthfully not sure if I would have picked up on the "doe only" were it not for frequenting TOO. For this reason it is tough for me to come down too terribly hard on these people. However, the rules are the rules. I won't belittle those who shot a buck this weekend IF it was unintentional rule breaking. I won't judge them as I believe missing the change could have easily happened. Unfortunately, I am afraid many probably intentionally shot bucks this weekend with the plan to call in Monday or no plan to call in at all. Those people would break the rules no matter what.