Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nine Deer Limit..I'm Confused!

Here is my question. Can I shoot my nine deer limit in three, four deer counties. Lets say three in Carroll, three in Portage and three in Stark. Or can I only shoot four total in the "red" counties combined. Then do I need to go to the "green" counties to shoot three more and then to the "blue" counties for my last two. I'm thinking I could take nine in three red counties. Not that I plan to take nine deer, but want to understand the regulations anyways. Thanks for any clarification.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
You can take up to 9 total deer. You cannot exceed the limit in any single county. So you can take 3 deer in a 4 deer county and do it in 3 seperate counties for a max of 9 deer.
Or you could do it in 3 of the 3 deer counties for a total of 9 deer.

That is how I understand it.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
You can take up to 9 total deer. You cannot exceed the limit in any single county. So you can take 3 deer in a 4 deer county and do it in 3 seperate counties for a max of 9 deer.
Or you could do it in 3 of the 3 deer counties for a total of 9 deer.

That is how I understand it.

Yep, no zone limit anymore just individual county limit. Just don't exceed the individual counties limit , and don't shoot more than 9 deer and you'll be legal .

Gordo

Athens County
Let me get this straight. So I can shoot the limit of of each county? I hunt Athens/Meigs/Vinton. I can kill 3 in each even though they are in the same zone? I'm assuming thats what the "no zone limit" means?

Thats F'n nuts

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Yep, even tho they color coded the counties to make it easier to identify one from another there aren't zones anymore . And bag limits are established per county.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

You can only use 1 Antlerless tag per county. Regardless of the county. The rest must be either sex. Tags are good statewide.
There is no such thing as "zones" anymore. County bag limits are independent.
Statewide bag limit s 9.

This sounds like a horrible idea from a "limit" perspective.. The reality is fewer than 2% of all hunters kill 2 or more deer.

Hunter success rates diminish considerably in their secondary counties. The averages are as follows.

Archery Success Rates
Primary 33.58%
Secondary 14.58%

Gun Success Rates
Primary 30.26%
Secondary 13.53%

Bonus gun Success Rates
Primary 8.64%
Secondary 2.10%

Muzzy Success Rates
Primary 11.77%
Secondary 12.05%