Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

For those going to Strouds this weekend.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

I've printed out about 20 maps of both Poston AEP lands as well as Strouds Run. I've also printed about 25 AEP Recreation Land permits for those wanting to hunt Poston. Poston is 2,300 acres of AEP land open to hunting located about 10 miles (20 min) from the strouds campground.

Please feel free however to print your own.

AEP Recreation land permit.

http://www.aep.com/environment/conservation/recland/pdf/PERMIT.pdf

AEP Poston Map
http://www.aep.com/environment/conservation/recland/pdf/2010_Poston_Plant_Lands_Map_1-14-11.pdf

Strouds Run park Map.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/2/parkmaps/stroudsrunparkmap.pdf

The Campground does not have an address but is located on State park Rd - (TR 212) and is labeled on the map as "group campground." You can enter 11661 State Park Road Athens, Ohio 45701. Once there continue 3/4 mile south to the campground on the left. Or GPS cords to the campground is GPS (39.358591,-82.042344).

Please feel free to ask below if you need more information or have questions.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I am going build a fire ring close to where it was last year with some cinder blocks Gordo snagged for us. I am sleeping in the elder Nickle brother's camper, so I won't have my tent. Figured I'd set my pop ups where my tent was last year and park my truck across the road in the campground. I will reserve a few tent camp spots for TOO members directly across from the group camp area as well.

I should have enough fire wood to keep us in a white man fire most of the weekend. Surely there are sources available if we run out. And I promise, the wood will burn like it did at Woodbury and not like it did at Strouds last year!

Ricer2231

I am going build a fire ring close to where it was last year with some cinder blocks Gordo snagged for us. I am sleeping in the elder Nickle brother's camper, so I won't have my tent. Figured I'd set my pop ups where my tent was last year and park my truck across the road in the campground. I will reserve a few tent camp spots for TOO members directly across from the group camp area as well.

I should have enough fire wood to keep us in a white man fire most of the weekend. Surely there are sources available if we run out. And I promise, the wood will burn like it did at Woodbury and not like it did at Strouds last year!

If ya need more firewood let me know.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Couple of questions:
1.) Are there better topo maps that you are bringing Joe?
2.) How well marked are these areas and their boundaries? I am used to hunting some of the wildlife areas in Ohio and they are generally posted pretty well along the boundaries

Random thought: who has the oldest AEP permission slip that is going? My lifetime permit is dated 1992

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Couple of questions:
1.) Are there better topo maps that you are bringing Joe?
2.) How well marked are these areas and their boundaries? I am used to hunting some of the wildlife areas in Ohio and they are generally posted pretty well along the boundaries

Random thought: who has the oldest AEP permission slip that is going? My lifetime permit is dated 1992

I will bring topo maps of the area. The AEP site says the boundaries are marked quite well for poston. It butts up to some WNF ground that may not be marked as well as AEP but I will bring maps of it also.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Rooster, I drove to NM and back twice one season. My son and I had more fun with these guys last year than I've ever had in NM. Its worth the trip!