Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ODNR Deer Harvest comparison

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Overall Buck harvest is down 29%

Button Buck harvest is up 10%

So, we're killing less bucks this season, plus we're killing more future bucks for the seasons to come.

My main county that I hunt still has a decline from 2012 of 14%, with a buck harvest decline of 47%

It's interesting to see that even with the early doe season, we're still down 3% from 2012. The numbers will correct themselves as the season continues and we will be down, overall, by double digits by the end of the season.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Overall Buck harvest is down 29%

Button Buck harvest is up 10%

So, we're killing less bucks this season, plus we're killing more future bucks for the seasons to come.

My main county that I hunt still has a decline from 2012 of 14%, with a buck harvest decline of 47%

It's interesting to see that even with the early doe season, we're still down 3% from 2012. The numbers will correct themselves as the season continues and we will be down, overall, by double digits by the end of the season.

And that has been the trend for 3 years. I'm still willing to bet if we had the same seasons and bag limits as we did in the mid-90's, our harvest would be at or below 170k as it was then...and I suspect strongly it would be below that number.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
And that has been the trend for 3 years. I'm still willing to bet if we had the same seasons and bag limits as we did in the mid-90's, our harvest would be at or below 170k as it was then...and I suspect strongly it would be below that number.

I asked that question. "What would happen to harvest numbers today if you put the regs back exactly like they were in 1994" He didn't understand.. So I rephrased. "Would we still be killing 229k if we removed all the opportunity we have today, that we didn't have in 1995."

Here's the answer..

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
It would be interesting to see the numbers comparing the last five seasons or so to this point. Did they start the week by week comparison last year?

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
With this new online and phone checking system how many do you think make it to the grinder with out being called in? I bet there are a lot of young bucks being called in as does also!!!!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The DOW does not seem to care. They believe there are so many deer, we need to kill them regardless. If a percentage make it to the grinder, all the better. The only reason they would be upset is because the missed out on the 24.00. Just my opinion of course.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not a fan of those not playing by the rules. But. . . If they aren't called in they are not recorded as deer harvested, therefore our harvest is simply down. Since they estimate herd size by harvest numbers, so be it. I am not condoning this, but it might help the cause one deer at a time.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
As do I..

After last years discussion with Tonk you apparently confused my mild mannered hospitality with lack of intestinal fortitude. I grilled him quite fairly while maintaining my manners. Yet you go on to state.

So. In reflection to that comment.. Make sure Tonk brings his big boy panties this year, there will be little doubt of my feelings and position when I'm done talking.. You should likely give him a heads up that thanks to your comments last year it may not be as cordial this go round, and my leniency for his talking in circles of excuses will be extremely thin.

+1 for that... Its all politics and the DNR staff are getting pressured by business to kill and kill more... We keep this shit up we are going to be just like PA...

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
I would agree about open houses. I attended one. . . once. I received the same answers as the lines of people waiting to ask the same questions. They were like robots spitting out the same BS excuses and telling us not to expect anything different. Why waste my time if the ODNR reps are there to talk rather than listen?

In regards to this weekend? Wish I could be there to watch. Probably best I am not able to attend. I agree this is not a personal attack on Tonk. It is simply his position which takes the heat. Swap him out with someone else, and it could be the same or it could be worse. Without the higher ups having the willingness to listen to the hunters, we are wasting our breath. All we can do is spread the word and be good stewards of the land in our immediate areas. We cannot control those cheating the system. We cannot control the guy not checking in deer or illegally harvesting. We cannot control the guy filling all his tags, and his wife's tags, and his kids' tags. Unfortunately, neither can the one WO in my county. Good guy, just not enough of him to go around. Not sure about other counties, but one WO in our county is spread pretty thin and we are not even a heavy deer density county. I will shoot what we can eat. I will tag what I shoot. Until there is an organization representing my interests, I will go about my business and spread the message of the ODNR decimating our deer herd to everyone I hear complaining of not seeing deer. I will tell them to call or email and complain. Not much more I can do.

DNR jerkoff only tell you what they think you want to hear. Its all BS.. We had a senior director come to my sportsman club trying to drum up votes, but when we started asking questions about hunting, it all turn to BS... Screw them... Useless PoS!! The state of Ohio was doing so well till BIG BUSINESS pressured them and now its kill and kill and now we rarely see shit int he woods.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
I don't believe Mike would intentionally lie to me or you. I do believe he knows more about managing our states deer herd than anyone who posts on this forum. His wife's an MD...he's a PHD, I don't think he worries to much about the homeless shelter or job security.

SO very true...

Lets not forget, he is only doing what he is told to do... everyone has a boss. Who's his? Ask them what they think??

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i thinks its because we put more effort into fantasy football and xbox than we do deer hunting. good find boone

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Opening day of shotgun season was Nov 26 last year. Probably has something to do with the notable difference in harvest to date. I suspect we will be down 10-15% from last year's total by the end of season.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Opening day of shotgun season was Nov 26 last year. Probably has something to do with the notable difference in harvest to date. I suspect we will be down 10-15% from last year's total by the end of season.
I hope your right Brock but I'm guessing at least 20%. Either way its not good and I'm sure they will have a reason why other than the truth.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I hope your right Brock but I'm guessing at least 20%. Either way its not good and I'm sure they will have a reason why other than the truth.

I agree that it will be down and I agree that it isn't good. What I disagree with is excuses for why the harvest is down.

Something we must start to grasp is this is the very result the ODNR set out to achieve. Their goal has been to reduce the herd. They have succeeded in doing just that.

If we want to see more deer again, we all need to lay off the doe and become some real good sales reps armed with statistics to influence others to do the same. Ohio is something like 95% privately owned. We can control our own destiny if we can sell the majority on the need to do so.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
On these threads I always see a lot of people talk about this was the goal all along. The problem is in the count! They don't know how many living deer there are. So, how would they know when they have reached some arbitrary goal of what the herd size should be? They won't and they don't care. It's up to conservation minded sportsmen to protect the herd through conservation. A lot of hunters that participate on these forum boards have already been doing that. The way to make a difference is to reach the masses beyond the Internet.