Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ODNR Deer Harvest comparison

mrex

*Supporting member*
Do you actually think your good friend is going to tell you that the politicians have him in their pocket? No, if he ran his mouth like that he wouldn't have a job. Do you think he's going to tell you about all the pressure he is under from them, the insurance companies, and the farmers? No, he wants his job. He is apparently quick to come up with reasons why people are not seeing deer, weather, low mast, hunters fault, etc. Even with him being your close friend you will never know the full story because he wants his job. I'm sure he's a nice dude but he let this go a little TOO far. If he was a man of moral character he would of resigned his position and shed light on this troubling matter when it began. And I have every right TOO criticize Tonk, I pay his salary, and I have rights.

I don't believe Mike would intentionally lie to me or you. I do believe he knows more about managing our states deer herd than anyone who posts on this forum. His wife's an MD...he's a PHD, I don't think he worries to much about the homeless shelter or job security.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't believe Mike would intentionally lie to me or you. I do believe he knows more about managing our states deer herd than anyone who posts on this forum. His wife's an MD...he's a PHD, I don't think he worries to much about the homeless shelter or job security.

Then why is he taking part in the fleecing of Ohio's deer hunters/herd?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

It's easy to know more about managing ohio deer herd than anybody when you have ZERO transparency. When you provide zero information about county population limits, the data that lead you to that estimate, the studies, physical counts and methods used to manage our states deer. Tonk knows exactly what he's doing. To what extent he has been successful at it I don't believe he or anyone else at the DNR knows exactly, the person with boots on the ground hunting the property knows though. As evident by his last hunter survey where those who said the herd was declining spent drastically more time in the woods than those who said it was increasing or staying the same. The people who said its decreasing spent more time in the woods, hunted more counties, and more seasons that those who responded that the population was stagnant or rising. And if I remember correctly you yourself spoke with thirty or so hunters who you hold in high regard and ALL of them told you it was a drastic decline. Seems everyone sees this but Tonk. Or does he? It's my opinion he does, he just chooses to pretend otherwise. There is no doubt in my mind he knows how to manage a deer herd. It's how he and the DNR have downplayed and misled that's the problem.

As for the PHD part. That's good for them. he's getting screwed. I've always said the state doesn't pay him nearly enough to deal with people like me. Hell Mike, my first job out of the military nine years ago I made considerably more than does now. And I don't even have one of them there fancy degrees. Unless you count technical certifications.

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
It's easy to know more about managing ohio deer herd than anybody when you have ZERO transparency. When you provide zero information about county population limits, the data that lead you to that estimate, the studies, physical counts and methods used to manage our states deer. Tonk knows exactly what he's doing. To what extent he has been successful at it I don't believe he or anyone else at the DNR knows exactly, the person with boots on the ground hunting the property knows though. As evident by his last hunter survey where those who said the herd was declining spent drastically more time in the woods than those who said it was increasing or staying the same. The people who said its decreasing spent more time in the woods, hunted more counties, and more seasons that those who responded that the population was stagnant or rising. And if I remember correctly you yourself spoke with thirty or so hunters who you hold in high regard and ALL of them told you it was a drastic decline. Seems everyone sees this but Tonk. Or does he? It's my opinion he does, he just chooses to pretend otherwise. There is no doubt in my mind he knows how to manage a deer herd. It's how he and the DNR have downplayed and misled that's the problem.

As for the PHD part. That's good for them. he's getting screwed. I've always said the state doesn't pay him nearly enough to deal with people like me. Hell Mike, my first job out of the military nine years ago I made considerably more than does now. And I don't even have one of them there fancy degrees. Unless you count technical certifications.

PHD..Piled High and Deeep:O:-D:)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Those numbers are interesting. I didn't think there would be that much participation in the early muzzleloader season, but seeing those numbers leads me to guess that many are not shooting their does with archery gear perhaps saving those tags for the muzzy weekend. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Guessing that herds are not down 50% as those numbers would suggest in areas, down some likely, but I can't imagine it would be that sharp.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Those numbers are interesting. I didn't think there would be that much participation in the early muzzleloader season, but seeing those numbers leads me to guess that many are not shooting their does with archery gear perhaps saving those tags for the muzzy weekend. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Guessing that herds are not down 50% as those numbers would suggest in areas, down some likely, but I can't imagine it would be that sharp.

I think some of the low numbers is do to the higher temps but most is do to past years of guys not seeing the deer they once did and just not wasting their time to get out and hunt.

I look forward to opening day every year however, it is loosing it's luster for me as well. I know the season is going to be the same if not a little worse then the previous year. Hard to get excited to get out there when you know what is going to happen once you get there. It is also hard to try and get my son into a sport that is one sided and boring as hell not seeing what you came to see. Would be like going to the zoo only to see empty cages or on a good day would be like going to the zoo when it is 100 degrees and only seeing a couple of them out in the enclosures. Pretty much sucks and a waste of time, money, and energy.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Hardin down 63%.... wow. I drive 30 minutes to work every day a half hour after daylight and I haven't seen a deer on the way in in close to a month. Lots of crops still on, but a couple years ago I would see deer daily.

My grandpa has hunted almost every day since season started and has only seen a couple deer, nothing within range. I'm getting similar reports from about everyone that I know that hunts around here.

I haven't even been in a tree yet this year. Although time is a big part of it, when I do get some spare time I would just as soon head to the lake and catch Crappie and Saugeye, at least I know there's fish in the lake. I'm sure I will get fired up as Halloween closes in and through November, but I just haven't gotten the itch yet.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Lot of good posts on here. What's the projected deer herd suppose to be this year? 750k again? Or do I remember something about they weren't giving estimated numbers anymore?!?

My last two sits(total 6 hours prime time) I saw zero deer but one yote. I was in a two different oak flats TOO with plenty of acorns on the ground.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Another thing that irks the shit out of me is when the DOW issues these kill permits in large numbers then the shooters kill most of the deer and then hunters who hunt within the range of the same deer that use to be around have little to no deer to hunt. If the DOW expects hunters to spend money for the privilege to hunt the states deer they better be careful or hunters will stop hunting and the deer will just be left for target practice for the legal poachers they have now and the DOW will go broke. Imho

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

He don't worry about job security because he swings the way the politicians want him to swing.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think some of the low numbers is do to the higher temps but most is do to past years of guys not seeing the deer they once did and just not wasting their time to get out and hunt.

I agree with both these statements. Warm temps have people thinking twice. Then again, I have been out 5 times. I have seen 3 does. The rest were fawns or bucks. What i have not seen much of is other hunters. This is good in my local area, but bad in the big picture for the ODNR revenues.

I look forward to opening day every year however, it is loosing it's luster for me as well. I know the season is going to be the same if not a little worse then the previous year. Hard to get excited to get out there when you know what is going to happen once you get there. It is also hard to try and get my son into a sport that is one sided and boring as hell not seeing what you came to see. Would be like going to the zoo only to see empty cages or on a good day would be like going to the zoo when it is 100 degrees and only seeing a couple of them out in the enclosures. Pretty much sucks and a waste of time, money, and energy.

I agree, yet disagree here. I am still taking my son out, but I preface every hunt with "Now you know we don't always see deer. We are 'hunting deer'. Doesn't mean we always see them." That said, I know we are still seeing deer in my area, just less of them. Several years of what you have seen (err, not been seeing) and my thought process might change. I just want him to get out there IF he wants to be out in the woods. Deer or no deer.

LonewolfNopack

The woods

Yep. That is the case for me at least. I hear of it more often every year, guys just not going out because what is the point?? In a previous post Mrex mentioned that he is in a way burned out on hunting because he knows he will never again kill a deer bigger than 200". Many people are burned out because they know they will not see a deer....period. Granted for hard core hunters they are going to go no matter what, but for beginners and kids, they quickly get burned out and lose interest.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Last year the early harvest was up considerably Due to very cool weather and crop harvest. I saw tons of hunters last year in the first weeks.