Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ODNR Deer Harvest comparison

yotehunter

spencerville oh
The bad part about this is come next weekend with the early muzzy hunt, all of the data can be thrown out the window anyway. It will give the false interpretation that we are killing more deer this year, but it will simply be because we have a new gun season in the middle of October that we didn't have last year.

Spot on odnr won't look at it that way though.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Maybe. Maybe not. If the deer aren't there, they simply aren't there. I am personally not hunting the early MZ and neither is my local hunting buddy. I haven't seen as many hunters out this year. Not sure what others are seeing though. I realize those of us online are a small facet of the hunters out there, but there seems to be a growing portion of people (at least locally I have spoken with) who are backing off simply because they are not seeing the deer. Hopefully this trend continues state wide.
. My question is Phil how can our county be a four deer county still its unbelievable, we don't have them kinda numbers.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
. My question is Phil how can our county be a four deer county still its unbelievable, we don't have them kinda numbers.

Crawford county doesn't either and it is a 4 deer county as well.

Matter of fact, Shelby County had more deer checked in last year then Crawford did and Shelby county is a 3 deer county. If that county is like ours They both should be dropped down to a 2 deer county. Putting us in a 4 deer county where your put in with counties that kill 3-6k+ deer a year is just plain crazyness. I know it is county by county now but that still sends the wrong message that we somehow have the same amount of deer some of those other counties have because the DNR allows 4 deer in our county.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I agree. Never has been. At this rate it never will be able to sustain the numbers of deer which constitute a 4 deer county.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'm going to shoot a doe with my muzzy if I get the chance and l see that being no different than me taking one with my crossbow other than I will be able to reach out farther.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm looking forward to discussing this around the fire Saturday evening.

As do I..

After last years discussion with Tonk you apparently confused my mild mannered hospitality with lack of intestinal fortitude. I grilled him quite fairly while maintaining my manners. Yet you go on to state.

OS mrex said:
"One evening, I invited Mike Tonkovich to come have a beer with us around the camp fire. Some of the DNR's most outspoken cyber critics were in attendance. It was the perfect forum for everyone to voice their concerns and get answers directly from the man...and nobody said anything...I've seen tougher crowds at a pampered chef party. "

So. In reflection to that comment.. Make sure Tonk brings his big boy panties this year, there will be little doubt of my feelings and position when I'm done talking.. You should likely give him a heads up that thanks to your comments last year it may not be as cordial this go round, and my leniency for his talking in circles of excuses will be extremely thin.

Last edited:

LonewolfNopack

The woods
:smiley_crocodile: Good luck.

As do I..

After last years discussion with Tonk you apparently confused my mild mannered hospitality with lack of intestinal fortitude. I grilled him quite fairly while maintaining my manners. Yet you go on to state.

So. In reflection to that comment.. Make sure Tonk brings his big boy panties this year, there will be little doubt of my feelings and position when I'm done talking.. You should likely give him a heads up that thanks to your comments last year it may not be as cordial this go round, and my leniency for his talking in circles of excuses will be extremely thin.

mrex

*Supporting member*
As do I..

You are one bad ass typest...see you Saturday

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You are one bad ass typest...see you Saturday

I look forward to it Mike. Please remind Tonk it's nothing personal, but I wouldn't want it to look like another pampered chef party. It would be nice if Tonk could bring some additional excuses this year though. He ran out of them a little early last time and kept repeating ones that amounted to little more than speculation with no solid reference data to back it up. Last year I was cordial and didn't back him in a corner on his statements just pointed out how they were flawed and moved on. For instance, he stated the population must be up because early archery harvest was up. It never occurred to him that the increase was likely due to early crop harvest and unseasonably cool weather leading to increased hunting; and that we would likely see a sharp decline in harvest later in the season.. Which is exactly what happened. And he seemed shocked, stating repeatedly that he never thought of that. I'll be expecting more than speculation and a c-ya later i gotta go to a birthday party when the excuses don't hold water this year. Hopefully you guys will stick around for good food and company afterwards.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I kept my mouth shut because Joe is the wordsmith and scholar on this. I'm just a dumb redneck that can't possibly understand all this math. But if the gloves are off, I don't mind speaking my mind.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm going to keep my mouth shut unless someone wants to know something about making pizza.:smiley_bril:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm going to keep my mouth shut unless someone wants to know something about making pizza.:smiley_bril:

Don't do that Brock. You'll get accused of not asking a questions again after Mike went through all the trouble of bringing him, then later someone will completely misrepresent the situation to others in an attempt to discredit you like you were intimidated.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Valid point. I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut, Joe, as you know. I'm just hoping to stick to the advice Mrex gave me. I think it was "stick to making pizzas" vs worrying about my personal observations whichhad me believing the deer herd in my area had been greatly reduced. Put aside the fact that "my area" now boast the lowest harvest stats in the entire state (which it had not before). I don't know what my own eyes saw, in fact, I'm not even sure I can make a pizza as I use those very same, obviously defective eyes while flipping them.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I really hope you guys ask him some good questions, plant thoughts and seeds into his mind. He may not initially respond like he cares, but at least the seed will be planted. He is just a human like the rest of us. I have a feeling he may be potentially clueless on what is going on outside of Athens county, other then what an excel sheet tells him or the feedback he receives from hunters. That is not knocking him, he's just one human in one place just like the rest of us. I would have no clue on what is going on in Lake county for example, other then what harvest figures tell me (which we all know is only part of what should be looked at when determining regs) or what local hunters in that area tell me. It is our responsibility as hunters to get that information to him. What he does with that information is up to him, at least we have done our part. If he makes some really bad decisions, that's on his hands to deal with, not ours, as long as we have done our part to inform him otherwise. Just look at our open houses for example. They are almost empty. That sickens me more then anything. I don't care if you think the ODNR cares or not, we should be filling that whole room and have a line waiting outside. Nobody shows = all is well. We as hunters like to complain among ourselves, yet when it comes to getting that info into the hands of people that can actually do something about it, we seem to be silent. That is a major problem, because I can guarantee you that farmers and insurance companies have no problem complaining to the DOW. We need to remind them that we are their core constituents, the ones that pay the bills, and that our opinions and thoughts should always come to mind first when making regulations. If every single person who has an issue with our current deer regulations does not speak their voice, we have no reason to complain. Every time I step foot into these deer deprived woods around my house,or onto our public land that is used and abused, I get absolutely sickened by what has been allowed to happen here. I use that passion to motivate me. When passion meets facts, you tend to really get peoples attention.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Personally, I think Mrex loves a lively conversation and hopes to see one this weekend. Wish granted. I want to feel better about the deer herd, perhaps a lively conversation will make me feel fuzzy and warm.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It isn't all bad, Seth. My gosh just last week while on an evening drive, I saw a doe and fawn within 100 yards of my neighbor's barn. (They were the ONLY deer I saw on a 20 mile ride). If they are so thick that they go right up to people's barn, they must be everywhere! There are too many!!!!

LonewolfNopack

The woods
It isn't all bad, Seth. My gosh just last week while on an evening drive, I saw a doe and fawn within 100 yards of my neighbor's barn. (They were the ONLY deer I saw on a 20 mile ride). If they are so thick that they go right up to people's barn, they must be everywhere! There are too many!!!!

I would keep that information silent Brock. Hearing of deer is like hearing of gold around these parts. Wouldn't want a bunch of hunters banging down that farmers door. I would like to know what the prize is for the hunter who kills the last deer in the county??