Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Climber vs ladder tree stands

Strizzi

I'm looking to pick up a tree stand eventually, and looking for everyone's opinion. I'm leaning towards a climber because I hunt in two different locations, although I would probably only use it at my main property. However with a chance of moving to the Columbus area in year I would like to hunt the public land out there. What does everyone recommend?

I'm leaning towards the climber.. How's viper?

Also, can anyone reconnect a good harness? I picked up a ladder stand at a garage sale and they didn't have the harness. And I wouldn't use it without one.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Climber would suit you well for the situations you described, esp. when you hit the public land. The ladder will give you a nice spot on the private that you can slip into more quietly. Muddy harnesses are real nice, hit up the Dunhams website to sign up for rewards and get 20% off on almost anything they have there.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
do you have the chance to pre hang stands in off season?

I like to use tree steps and have a stand pre hung.

Unscrew half the steps when you leave to nothing is at ground level to catch a thieves eye.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
If you put a permanent stand on public property, it becomes public property. So in that respect, a climber would be a good bet. I like my lone wolf climber a lot, very light weight, and compact.

I also have several ladder stands in various spots on private property. The trick with that is smart scouting so you arent putting it in a spot where the deer wont walk by it. You also want to hang those in the summer so the deer have a chance to get used to them being there. It is nice to have permanent stands as well so you can slip in quietly and be set up fast. Like if you only have a couple hours after work. Climbers alow for more manuverability. You see deer moving through a certain area regularly you can simply find a good tree over there and set up.

I personally started with a climber at first.

ditto to muddy harness. I plan to get one as my next upgrade. currently using a hunter safety system.

Huckleberry Finn

I found a good middle ground between climber and ladder stand for more mobile spots. If I was 100% mobile (moving in and out all the time, I'd go with sticks and a light hang on stand). Anyways, check this product out: http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?9084-River-s-Edge-Pack-n-Stack

Any tree stand you buy in the box is TMA certified and comes with a basic harness. There's a thread of guys that are willing to mail you one of those basic harness. I just got a new HSS Harness and had a good experience with them.

Strizzi

Thanks everyone for the help, my better half just bought me a hang on stand and sticks. It'll be strictly for the private land I hunt and I'll use it as more of a "permanent" stand and leave it up until the deer catch on. I got a great deal on a muddy harness and all the hooks I'll ever need to hang my bag, bow and binoculars.

teej89

NE PA
Thanks everyone for the help, my better half just bought me a hang on stand and sticks. It'll be strictly for the private land I hunt and I'll use it as more of a "permanent" stand and leave it up until the deer catch on. I got a great deal on a muddy harness and all the hooks I'll ever need to hang my bag, bow and binoculars.

good stuff! and once you start using the sticks a good bit you'll realize you can be EXTREMELY fast at putting up a hangon and honestly I feel safer putting a hang on on than I did when I used to use a climber.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I have ladder stands and a climber. Ladder stands are best for private land when the chance of left is way down. I have found my climber to be the best stand to use on public land. It allows you to be mobile, fairly easy to backpack in and you can lock it to the tree with a simple cable lock. I'm 6'1 230lbs so I went with the Summit Goliath for my climber. It's made for bigger hunters. I also use Hunters Safety System vest and ropes. I find the vests to be very comfortable. Their rope style tree strap works great with climbers. It allows you to be attached to the tree at all times from the ground up. On my ladder stands I use the HSS lifleline. It also allows you to be hooked in from the ground up.