Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gutting knife

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have a Schrade and Sharp Finger and both need sharpened. They both have skinned and processed many deer over the years. I went and bought myself a Swing Blaze just about an hour ago on my way home from work. It cost $50 dollars and I'm looking forward to trying it out this season. It is one sharp MO FO! I'll let y'all know how well it performs.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My Buck folding Alpha Crosslock. It's serviced me well for 7-8 yrs. It even field dressed a elk. I don't see it listed on Buck's website any more. It has No. 183 on the blade. Doing a Google search it shows up as Alpha Crosslock PBS 0183GYS-B.
I picked up a small steel sharping tool at a thrift shop for 50 cents. Couple swipes and it's good to go again.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I usually use a Buck folding drop point... like a 2.5 or 3" blade I think. Nothing fancy, just sharp as a mother. I also have a Cutco fixed blade Hunter that a friend bought for me as a gift. It works great, I really like it... But it's a bit bulky and I don't like to carry it on my belt. The serrated "forever-sharp" edge is very nice, though. I think my next knife will be a Havalon knife. I really like the concept of the disposable blades. I don't need anything fancy or gimmicky... I don't cut the pelvic bone or sternum, so a simple sharp blade that is compact suits me perfect.