Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cotty's 2013-14 season

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Kody and I went out at 5:00. Had another close call. Had a doe come in about 5:30 and fed in front of us. I didn't say a word. Let him decide and do all the work.
After she fed for awhile, I notice Kody slowly getting his bow ready. We are after that buck, but at this point, whatever makes him happy.
I sat silently and waiting for the events to unfold. The doe fed facing us. No shot for about 5 minutes. He patiently waited for her to turn broadside and I could hear his breathing getting heavy. I just smiled knowing how excited he was.
When she finally turned, he began to draw. Without looking up she just bolted. Sixth sense I guess.

I feel awful for him. He did everything right but never got to release the arrow. We got a snow day tomorrow, so I think I'm going to rearrange the setup a bit to try and improve his chance to draw. My wheels are turning...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Kody and I went out at 5:00. Had another close call. Had a doe come in about 5:30 and fed in front of us. I didn't say a word. Let him decide and do all the work.
After she fed for awhile, I notice Kody slowly getting his bow ready. We are after that buck, but at this point, whatever makes him happy.
I sat silently and waiting for the events to unfold. The doe fed facing us. No shot for about 5 minutes. He patiently waited for her to turn broadside and I could hear his breathing getting heavy. I just smiled knowing how excited he was.
When she finally turned, he began to draw. Without looking up she just bolted. Sixth sense I guess.

I feel awful for him. He did everything right but never got to release the arrow. We got a snow day tomorrow, so I think I'm going to rearrange the setup a bit to try and improve his chance to draw. My wheels are turning...

cotty, i think im going to do like trappers do and put some blocking up to force the deer to come in broadside. I wanted to try it this year but may not have a chance. you might want to try it to see if it funnels them.

cotty, i think im going to do like trappers do and put some blocking up to force the deer to come in broadside. I wanted to try it this year but may not have a chance. you might want to try it to see if it funnels them.

When we baited heavily up in the UP of Michigan we used to set them up like this. Put the bait in front of a tree and then lean branches up against the tree on both sides to force them to come in somewhat broadside.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Problem is we are baiting on a field edge. I relocated the pile past the tent so that they have to walk past us to get to it.

I screwed up and put it in front of us giving Kody a left side shot. But you know how it goes. Grab corn, lift head and eat. Repeat process. Never a good time to draw.

I'm hoping now we can catch them strolling by.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mike, did you ever try using the shoot-thru netting? If your blind will accomodate it, its awesome. You could break dance behind that stuff with a blacked out blind. It won't effect his arrow either as long as he is shooting fixed heads.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You may want to try it with his setup. I've shot longbows, crossbows, and compounds through the stuff with no noticeable negative effects out to 30 yards. They simply can't see you through that stuff. It makes hunting with a kid a lot easier.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for the tip. Nets are up and we are set. Ran two off on way in but 6 have been feeding all day here.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390860978.199768.jpg