Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Legal Hunting Age

themedic

OHIO
How old must a person be to bowhunt alone? 18 is what I am seeing in the reg's book. Thats a little ridiculous IMO. Am i reading this right? Any exemptions?

Youth Hunts

All youth hunting opportunities (except the youth waterfowl hunting season) are available to any hunters that possess a valid youth hunting license. All young hunters participating in youth hunts, regardless of age, must be accompanied by a non-hunting adult. A non-hunting adult is any person (a hunting license is not required) age 18 or older who accompanies the young hunter to and from the field and is present with the young hunter while the young hunter is engaged in hunting. The non-hunting adult may not possess any hunting implements.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I think that reg only applies to someone using a youth license and tag, during youth season. I would think, as a parent, you are the one to judge if your child is mature enough to hunt alone.

Huckleberry Finn

Probably a good question for the ODNR hotline.

I believe that specific regulation relates to an adult accompanying (also strictly defined) a youth during youth season.

I know that I hunted alone under 18 many, many, many, many times. Dad had to sit with me during youth season, but regular gun I sat alone.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think I just read in the book the other day a hunter must be 15 to hunt alone. I'll check again when I'm on the toilet.

teej89

NE PA
The way I read it, 15 and under must be accompanied by an adult.

yup, it's saying you need someone over 18 years old to accompany a youth, and the 18+ person doesn't have to have a license. I think you can get a youth license until you're 16 then you have to get an adult license.

Probably a good question for the ODNR hotline.

I believe that specific regulation relates to an adult accompanying (also strictly defined) a youth during youth season.

I know that I hunted alone under 18 many, many, many, many times. Dad had to sit with me during youth season, but regular gun I sat alone.

That's my understanding too. My dad didn't have time to go sit with me during youth season. So I hunted our property by myself.

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I think any hunter 16 or older can hunt alone in Ohio.

Hunters age 15 and under and those of any age hunting with an apprentice license must be accompanied by an adult. Special restrictions apply to certain youth hunts. See the Youth Hunting section for details.

That's what I was thinking as well. 16 and older. If you can drive a can, you can go on a deer drive.

I'd say 69 is tough by your self.

:smiley_crocodile: