Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Beentowns Hunting Journal

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Morning hunt:

On the way back to the stand there was a 1.5 y/o buck feeding behind the cabin, near the pond. I tried Brocks light trick which kept him from spooking but he did move off. Once to the field edge I was surprised to find the neighboring farmer had harvested the corn that night. I went back really early so I was a little disoriented without the corn to use as a guide. Ended up way to far down the field for my entrance to the stand. Felt like a monkey fuggin a football to be honest until I had the harness hooked up.

From then until right before daylight I had deer moving all around me. Some were right under me but couldn't make out the caliber of the bucks I could see (silhouettes really). After the sun came up they had moved away and I couldn't see what/which bucks they were. The rest of the morning was uneventful for deer. At 11:00am I started my walk back but didn't wanna walk the now open field so I went the other direction through the woods. Twenty yards behind my stand there was a recently worked scrape. Good news and I wanted to get my cam on it. I pulled my cam from the main trail that it has been on in front of my stand but didn't wanna put it back up without viewing it. So I packed the camera away to take it back to the house with me. Here are some pics from this pull. Don't have all the good pics as I had accidently deleted the ones of Rock On and Lance. They are still hanging around :smiley_crazy:

This is a new possible target if he is the one I think he is (depends on how wide):

Another angle:

This dude got fugged up! Many pictures of him. Broken main beam and a gored eye:

Evening hunt:

Headed back to the stand at 3:30pm. Walked the woods on the way back again. This was kind of risky but I figure the are more likely to be bedded near the corn as it is "easy pickens" as far as food goes right now. Went to hang the cam over the scrape and there was two more beside the one. So within the 4 hours I was outta the stand something/s has made two more scrapes. WooHoo! Anyway it was super quiet and no wind to speak of until about 5:20p. After the wind picked up just a bit I had my first action. It was "dumb" from my two young bucks that hang out together. Hopefully he stays stupid because he is going to be a hell of a buck. He hung around and circled me twice eating nuts and leftovers from my bait dump last week. He wondered off and I saw why shortly after...a doe entered the corn field. After that she had all the attention and I didn't have anything close enough to tell what it was. There was three bucks (non-targets) and two does in the field. This spot is really looking good. Big boys are just a few minutes late or a few early. They will slip up....just gotta put in the time.

Deer seen: 21
Does: 10
Bucks: 11
Shot opportunities: 6
Time on stand: 25.5 hours
mornings: 3
Evenings: 5

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very cool pic! Damn, he got his ass thumped!

Hey, sounds like an all dayer should be planned or maybe go in late morning then hunt till dark...just a idea buddy! Hope it happens real soon for ya!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would agree with Ric. Tomorrow primetime should be 1024am-1259pm according to the "Time to Hunt" app on my phone. I think they get this info off the internet, so it HAS to be accurate. Moon is directly overhead at 1142am so I can see where these would be good times.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hit it Charles! I got a feelin', got a feelin that tomorrow's gonna be a good day! Black eyed peas think so as well! Hahaha

.......and I'd be running into tree with my head down looking for that horn when it falls TOO! Rotflmao

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Weather should pretty much suck ass today as far as deer movement goes. They're calling for wind gusts in the 30-40 mph range along with thunder and lightening.

Hope Friday is the day Charles, good luck!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Going to fit the last two hunts on this one update. Anyway on Friday evening I took my daughter out to an urban spot that John and I set a blind up. Right after being in the blind a lady walked her horse (biggest dog I have ever seen) right behind us. Shortly after we had deer blowing behind us. Maddy had never heard it so that made her excited. About an hour later he had a doe and her fawn come out about 80 yards away feeding. Now Maddy is REALLY excited. A neighborhood dog started barking its ass off so they busted out of the field. 30 minutes after that a doe with 2 fawns entered the field at 45 yards. I picked up the bow (now Maddy is literally holding her chest) and I was ranging them. I have to have the PERFECT shot here as houses basically surround you. Another 10 yards and I was going to let one have it. Well, as soon as I made that decision mentally they feed off. Maddy was disappointed because she thought for sure it was going to happen but still really enjoyed herself. We had a great time. This girl went 5 times last year and never saw a deer.

Sunday evening I went to a spot I usually hunt often but I haven't put a stand up or hung a camera off this field as the ones I was after were hitting a field/woods just down from it. Well, after sweating like Prince in church hanging my sticks/Millennium combo I was finally settled in by 3:30pm. Nothing until almost 5p when some major noise was coming at me from a blind field edge. Ended up being three, e-collared German Shepherds busting ass. The stopped at the creek to get a drink and then broke off individually and pushed the woods (on property lines mind you) and then ran off. An hour later they came back through pushing the opposite way and had deer moving in front of them. Going to have to confront who I think the owner is. I am convinced he has trained them to run deer to his property which is adjacent to ours. There is no way those dogs ran those lines untrained.

Deer seen: 27
Does: 16
Bucks: 11
Shot opportunities: 6
Time on stand: 31.5 hours
mornings: 3
Evenings: 7