Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

driving me nuts, age please

at1010

*Supporting Member*
IMG_5757.jpgIMG_5752-2.jpg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I know this pics suck, but if you open them up it should give you a decent visual.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would say the picture is 25 days old assuming you have the right date on the camera. I am with Redcloud. I suck at this game. I would say 3.5 or so as well.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I'll bite....... I'm gonna say 4.5, rack isn't the greatest but he's got solid shoulders, starting to slump in the back, big gut, and its ONLY Sept! Wait til Nov. and that deer will look HUGE!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Ok so I thought he was 3.5 also. Which IMO I think he has GREAT potential as a 3.5. Funny that if you think he is a 4 year old, seems like he is about at his peak.

As a 3.5 year old I see a deer that could explode if he can get a bit more tine length.

What do you all think?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Flip a coin. Just too many unknown factors to make a guess as to whether he will do much more.

My thoughts on 3.5 were the even back and belly. Seems the deer all fatten up about this time of the year getting prepped for the rut. I agree though when his neck swells and he is all rutted up he is going to be a force.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I see 3.5 just long looking neck, not a real deep chest, etc. I can not be sure, either way I am going to pass on him. I just think this deer has good potential but like you said hicks super hard to tell!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am far from an expert Albert. I do know there are a lot of factors which go into how much they will put on. All I know is more deer have let me down in regards to growth than have ever surprised me. lmao

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
IMO, I'd say he's at least 3.5 but leaning towards 4.5 like Zack. He's got a pretty big body with a little sway in his back and sag in his gut. Once his neck swells he'll look like a mature buck TOO. Just my opinion Albert, nice buck!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

He's still thin in front of the shoulders and in front of his hips. I think he's a full bodied 3 and definitely has great potential. The best jumps in growth I have seen in deer is typically between 3 and 4. One thing is for sure, if you shoot him this year, you'll never know what he could be. But he could also get hit by a car or poached. It is always a gamble to let deer walk, but you'll never shoot a slob if you always shoot the medium sized ones...

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio

He's still thin in front of the shoulders and in front of his hips. I think he's a full bodied 3 and definitely has great potential. The best jumps in growth I have seen in deer is typically between 3 and 4. One thing is for sure, if you shoot him this year, you'll never know what he could be. But he could also get hit by a car or poached. It is always a gamble to let deer walk, but you'll never shoot a slob if you always shoot the medium sized ones...
I agree! That's a good one to pass on. He would surley get a hard look, if he came in, but I would hope a shot at him wouldn't present itself. Lol.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I agree! That's a good one to pass on. He would surley get a hard look, if he came in, but I would hope a shot at him wouldn't present itself. Lol.

Only two people hunt my property. My uncle and I have decided to pass on him this year if either get a shot, and pray he makes it! Fingers crossed!!!!