Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Blowing out deer

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Early season I don't hunt the mornings for this reason alone. Unless you have good access to a bedding area and can get in without disturbing deer its just not worth it IMO. There are stands that are good morning stands but I have a lot more success in the evenings early season setting up in transition areas.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I jumped an absolute pig one year during gun season on my way in for an evening sit. Jumped him around 3:00. He came back around 5:00 like I was never there.

Jumping them on the way in is very frustrating, but many times they'll come back

Too bad I shit my pants and missed him at 30 yards. Still the biggest buck I've ever seen on hoof. Pissing me off all over again. Damn it.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I agree with Brock, I have used this many times on a few stands of mine over fields.

Shined light at the deer, walked damn near right past them. They will maybe take a few bounds, cams show they went right back to feeder 10 mins after I left

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Biggest buck I have killed came in after bumping 3 or 4 deer right under my stand on the way in. That was during the day. In the mornings, I usually try to walk like a deer, stopping every 3 to 4 steps once I get into the woods, and have had very good luck walking past deer without spooking them.

Ditto

I try not to hunt many mornings till 3 weeks into the season because of this. If you jump something(a buck especially) during the seek and chase phase and onto the rut, chances are that a buck two properties over during the bumping of deer on your entry will be along shortly.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Early season I don't hunt the mornings for this reason alone. Unless you have good access to a bedding area and can get in without disturbing deer its just not worth it IMO. There are stands that are good morning stands but I have a lot more success in the evenings early season setting up in transition areas.

Good post Zack! I agree wholeheartily!

gavennn

I throw them a couple grunts and a wheeze back. Then I move slower than normal rest of the way to my stand

Yep, walk like a deer starting and stopping often and even carry a stick to sound like an extra hoof hitting the ground as you walk. Don't be afraid to snort back at them or even snort wheeze. The only thing was the last time I did that I had a buck come right in just as I got into the stand and made all kinds of a ruckus before daylight all around me but once daylight came he and other deer never showed.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
There is actually a tactic called the "bump and dump" Work slowly through the woods until you bump a large buck. Find the closest tree and use your climber or mobile pack in stand to get setup. When he comes back dump his ass. There are a lot of great hunters that swear by this tactic. It works because deer usually do not go very far if they're not being pursued. Typically they circle back around.

It is because of this I don't really give it a second thought when I bump deer going to the stand.

Another one that I struggle with is the early bird gets the worm. I am a firm believer that 90% of the deer you see in the first couple hours of daylight were within 250 yards of your stand when you got in it. Now we all know the best chance to kill a buck is typically right at the crack of dawn or dusk. I have noticed that I see far more deer during a morning sit when I get to the stand and hour early as opposed to 30 minutes. My theory is the deer that you see right at the crack of dawn Were within 100 yards of your stand when you got in 30 minutes before daylight. Getting to your standard hour before daylight Allows an extra 30 minutes for those deer to filter into that zone without being disturbed. In the early-season this is a great discipline to have. During the rut it really doesn't matter as the deer are constantly on the move. But after the rut when deer become extremely wary I believe it is absolutely imperative

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Another one that I struggle with is the early bird gets the worm. I am a firm believer that 90% of the deer you see in the first couple hours of daylight were within 250 yards of your stand when you got in it. Now we all know the best chance to kill a buck is typically right at the crack of dawn or dusk. I have noticed that I see far more deer during a morning sit when I get to the stand and hour early as opposed to 30 minutes. My theory is the deer that you see right at the crack of dawn Were within 100 yards of your stand when you got in 30 minutes before daylight. Getting to your standard hour before daylight Allows an extra 30 minutes for those deer to filter into that zone without being disturbed. In the early-season this is a great discipline to have. During the rut it really doesn't matter as the deer are constantly on the move. But after the rut when deer become extremely wary I believe it is absolutely imperative

I never thought of it this way. I'll give it a try. Hell it's only getting up 30 minutes earlier.

reo

N.E. Ohio
Depends. If you are just randomly bumping them once in a while, no biggie and try not to let it bother you. I have seen numerous things spook deer from other deer to turkey to kitty cats, the list goes on and bumped deer does not automatically mean a ruined sit. If you are consistently spooking them from known bedding areas that is a different story and something should be done to avoid this in the future. In addition there are different levels of bumping/spooking/blowing out, ranging from spooked and running to the next county to taking a couple hops and letting out a few snorts. Just my thoughts......

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
There is actually a tactic called the "bump and dump" Work slowly through the woods until you bump a large buck. Find the closest tree and use your climber or mobile pack in stand to get setup. When he comes back dump his ass. There are a lot of great hunters that swear by this tactic. It works because deer usually do not go very far if they're not being pursued. Typically they circle back around.

It is because of this I don't really give it a second thought when I bump deer going to the stand.

"Bump and Dump" essentially killed this one. He came in before daylight, got a drink from a little pond and bedded in the same brush pile he was bedded in the day before. He came back for a mid-day sip and caught one. He was bedded 60 yards from me for 3 or 4 hours before I killed him.

One fencerow stand I set up last year usually had deer in the surrounding fields within 100 yards as I climbed up. To my knowledge, I never spooked one while climbing up. They were often under me at first light and before. It was corn stubble last year, and they were usually clearly visible with a pre-ascent bino check. That is why I like 50mm optics...you can see when it's dark.

Attachments

• IMG00213_001.jpg
    IMG00213_001.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 120

teej89

NE PA
Carry a flashlight. Shine it in their face and walk right by them.

I am a firm believer in this also. Goes back to the "deer in the headlights look". It's not that deer are idiots and just enjoy staring at bright lights but the bright light actually blinds them temporarily and they don't know what to do.

buckstar25

T-county
Yep, walk like a deer starting and stopping often and even carry a stick to sound like an extra hoof hitting the ground as you walk. Don't be afraid to snort back at them or even snort wheeze. The only thing was the last time I did that I had a buck come right in just as I got into the stand and made all kinds of a ruckus before daylight all around me but once daylight came he and other deer never showed.

I think it was Alan Altizer video that showed his technique for sounding like a deer. It actually works, I remember trying it. Just simple heel to toe walking. Sounds like 4 feet and if you get it mastered really sounds like a deer. Put all your weight on your heel, then snap your toes down.

I have no choice but to bump deer. Our property is too close to food source. I am an early bird, I am in the stand an hour an a half before shooting time. I do not use a flash light until I get to my stand (unless it's a new one). I have noticed to, the deer I bump, if I am not ragin through the woods, will normally stay relatively close. And it never fails, they are always where I need to go. I just keep my pace and get to my tree and climb.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I am with Joe on this one I always try to be in stand a good hour before legal shooting light. There has been times where I have deer moving by me before legal light doing this.