Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

You Wack em We Track em

Great to have you back on here checking in. It's a true show of your character to step up and try to explain yourself for the MIA from last year, most would never swallow their pride enough to do that. Thanks for passing on your number as I am sure there will be some that need it this year as they have in the past. If you can, throw up some pics and stories if you have any written or if you even have a blog page or anything like that to share.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great to have you back on here checking in. It's a true show of your character to step up and try to explain yourself for the MIA from last year, most would never swallow their pride enough to do that. Thanks for passing on your number as I am sure there will be some that need it this year as they have in the past. If you can, throw up some pics and stories if you have any written or if you even have a blog page or anything like that to share.
I second this. Big man to step back into this forum after his thread was derailed. We had some fun with it for sure. As you can see Trackman, we are a pretty laid back group. Stuff happens in life. Sorry to hear of all you have had to deal with in the last year. Best of luck this season.

Trackman

SW Ohio
Thanks fellas. You gotta have tough skin in this business!lol!! I do appreciate all said. I will post the highs and lows of our season. Its almost here and we are ready to jump out of our skin. I am hoping I get some free time this weekend as I got a good buck coming in for a regular snack.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sorry to hear about all the negatives that happened in your life this past year. Hope things are doing much better for you. Thanks for stopping in and stepping up and explaining.

Welcome back and good luck to you this season!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Would like to hear some tracking stories (with pics of course). Anything we can learn about deer is fun and may help another find his deer.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Would like to hear some tracking stories (with pics of course). Anything we can learn about deer is fun and may help another find his deer.

Definitely! I love to track deer about as much as I love to shoot them. I'm always up for a good tracking story as it helps add to the database when tracking.

Trackman

SW Ohio
xenia recocery 32 hrs.jpgxenia recovery text.jpg

Track was 30+ hrs old. The hunter was on the ground and the shot went a little further back than desired. It happens. When he took up the track he only had visible blood for 40 yards. That blood consisted of two spots each being the size of a quarter. We put the hound at the hit site and he seemed to lock on fairly quick. We were tracking in a urban area. This particular spot was overgrown with waist high grass mixed with briars and a million saplings. We tracked for about 300 or so yards with no conformation. I could tell my client had his doubts and was probably thinking this deer is never going to be found. As we cleared the over grown field my hound was pulling hard and led us into the next patch of woods. There it was, a pin drop of dried blood. I called it out and my client ran up and said where. When he saw it I could tell he was feeling better. We continued on another 200 or so yards and the dog wanted to cross a busy street. On the other side of the street we did not have permission. It was like 12 am and we decided to wait till morning to gain access. No one wants a hunter to bang on the door at 12am to see if they can track. I said I feel confident your deer is on the other side. unfortunately I wasn't there the next day for the pic!!!!!!

Trackman

SW Ohio
took a track last night that was 33 hrs old with Very little blood. Deer was hit just a touch high but I thought we had a chance of recovery. Tracking conditions are not good with the high temps and dry conditions. Time was not on our side starring down the barrel of 33 hrs plus conditions but we are still expected to preform. The hound and I really had to work as a team to get locked in. He never locked in until last blood. Now there was only 3 drops of blood that I saw in the 150 yards. We got to the last known blood and the hound went right and was more searching than tracking. I worked him back to last blood and he goes the same direction only to lock on like a heat seeking missile. With his nose buried in the ground he led the way and now I put all my trust into him. He led me across 2 small creeks , a gravel drive, 2 bean fields, past a pond and into another small wood lot without missing a beat. We just covered some dirt and I had all confidence in his nose and focus. As we got to the last woods he turned and started into some Very thick nasty head high stuff. Then 5 feet from my hound the buck jumps and blows through the brush. I didn't get the best look at the buck and I was 0nly 10 feet or so from him. Very dangerous. He was a very large buck but I couldn't confirm a hole in him. I do feel confident that this was our target but honestly I cant say I am 100 percent. Now let me back up a min. When we first went into the last wood lot my hound made a check and we were at a property line we couldn't cross. So I took him back to work around the pond we passed. Just to check. we found nothing of interest so I headed back to the last bean field and let him work himself back and lock on to the track again. He took me straight back to the same spot in the small wood lot. At this time we had been within 30 feet of this buck 3 times. When he got to the last spot where he was checking earlier he took the track straight to him. I honestly don't think if this wasn't a wounded deer he would of held that tight that long that many times. Maybe he would if it was Saturday of gun season. The hound did his job and that's all I can ask. This is the real life of tracking! I will keep you updated if this story changes.
It is going to get harder each day for me to get on here as the season progresses. So try not to bash me to Bad.LOL!!!!
Contact info
937-515-6470

Trackman

SW Ohio
I got one more tracking story of this week of another big buck. Try to get it on here tomorrow if I got time. Gotta get some shut eye while I can. Oh its a recovery of a dead deer at the end.3.5 miles.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Cool tracking story! Wow, 3.5 miles! I wish I hunted an area where I had that kinda of leeway! Looking forward to reading how it went down!

joejoe8

I really enjoy reading these story's. I do a lot of bear an bobcat hunting with dogs in Nc, I love watching a dog work a track. Keep them coming!!