Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Chased some bunnies today

bluedog

29 days. I have to admit my hound running has been a little sporadic. Still getting them out at least twice a week but not for as long as I would like. I finally snuck off for some squirrel hunting last Sunday. The weather wasn't the best but I ended up having a great encounter with some deer and ended up with one squirrel. I ran the dogs on Monday and then not again until today. Right now I've got about one hour of daylight to run them after work. I'm always sad when the time changes. I'd rather have that extra daylight at the end of the day rather than in the morning. I'll be out of town on business all next week with mr. bluedog holding down the fort so the dogs won't get run at all. I'm looking forward to getting out for early ML season this weekend, but hope to also run the dogs before I leave town. I've got one spot behind the barns that is far from where anyone would be deer hunting and holds a decent number of rabbits. Happy pre-season to all! Hope everyone is finding some time to be in the woods!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412991178.489309.jpg

bluedog

Serious snoring in my house. I was determined to get the dogs out this weekend for a good long run. I deer hunted the morning and then came back to the house because I had a few old laying hens I wanted to get butchered. I started at noon and let the dogs go in the pasture at the same time. I had two hens finished when the rabbit took the dogs over to the neighbor's. There is usually no one hunting over there, but one can never be sure so I went running after them and got them back to the pasture to find another rabbit (which they did). They stayed in the general area of the pasture while I finished butchering, then cleaned up all the equipment and then did chores. I went and got them a few minutes before 3pm, so almost 3 hours. Then I went back out and deer hunted the afternoon/evening (and got a doe!). I LOVE having sleepy dogs in the house.

bluedog

11 more days. :) :) :)

Was able to get the dogs out for about 2 1/2 hours yesterday. The first hour I was doing barn chores, but then with my work done, I went out and joined them for the next hour and a half. That was the longest I've been out with them just watching and enjoying in some time. After doing that I'm really getting excited for rabbit season! There were a couple good sight chases and those always make me laugh. I just love the sounds they make when sight chasing. Aftermath was two sleepy dogs.

Some beagle was not happy when the other some beagle came over to "her" blanket, curled up and pretty much laid down on top of her.

bluedog

One more week (then I suppose a new thread is in order?). The beagles went to work with me today and got a good scrubbing. I love the first couple days after a bath when they smell good. Will most likely run them some time this weekend and that will put an end to that. LOL!