Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

my debate

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I need some advice , both my daughter and son love to hunt and they have been shooting the cross bow very well. My daughter turns eleven next week and my son is 7 . I found a youth model 500 410 for them and my boy shoots it well but the stock is a little long yet my daughter fits it like a glove. I should say they shoot well off the bench. I do have several two mans stands with the shooting rail to put them in. My delima is the 4/5 ounce slug too little. I'm just worried bout a ill placed shot and a unfound wounded deer. What's your opions should I wait till they can handle a 20 or hope for the best. I let them shoot as much as possible when time allows and the wallet isn't short.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I didn't like the idea of my kids shooting a deer with a 410. Plenty of deer have been killed with them, but I too suspect it takes a really, really good shot. That isn't always gonna happen. Instead, if you have one, consider an inline muzzleloader. With a light bullet, like a 240 powerbelt or hornady xtp, the recoil is minimal. Most inlines are front-end heavy, so a rest on a rail or shooting sticks is a must. Last year while hunting on a creek bank, I tied a rope between two trees for a quick rest for my son. He made a perfect shot, partially due to the rest, even though he is finally strong enough to handle the gun. Getting kids on a rest always seems to be the biggest issue when setting up, but it is needed regardless. BTW, my son shot a 50 cal extremely well when he was 6. We just cut the powder back to cut out the recoil. You lose some range, but I'd have hated to be a deer inside of his imposed 50 yd limit back then.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Keep your shots within archery range and you should be good.... Have them shoot several scenarios and if they hit consistently I say go for it....

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Brock thats a good call with the inline! They are heavy, but dont kick to bad.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I should have clarified; Mason shot a small traditions 50 cal sidelock when he was much younger. It is a carbine type gun and was easy for him to handle. It was cheap back in the day when I got it, but shoots round balls exceptionally well out to 75 - 100 yds. It has a relatively short stock too, making it a good kid gun. I'd be happy to let your kids use it this season if you'd like, but I would like to get it back when they are done as it has some sentimental value.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I should have clarified; Mason shot a small traditions 50 cal sidelock when he was much younger. It is a carbine type gun and was easy for him to handle. It was cheap back in the day when I got it, but shoots round balls exceptionally well out to 75 - 100 yds. It has a relatively short stock too, making it a good kid gun. I'd be happy to let your kids use it this season if you'd like, but I would like to get it back when they are done as it has some sentimental value.

My uncle had a very similar gun I used when I was a kid! It was easy for me to handle too! Good suggestions, and what na offer!

I say if they can shoot well enough and keep the shots around 40 yards or less they will be OK. After my open heart surgery a few years ago my doctor advised me not to shoot shotguns one handed anymore. I cheated and picked up a Rossi .410 to deer hunt with last year. I set it up with a Bushnell 4X scope. My only advice is to use Brenneke slugs. The are heavier and made of a harder alloy. My Rossi did a fine job on this adult doe at about 15 yards. Knocked her off her feet and she never went anywhere.
IMG_0625.jpg IMG_0624.jpg

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Yes I wouldn't let them shoot anything past my bow range, and good tip with the rope Brock, and I've kicked around the ml I may pull it out this weekend and let them blow so smoke. Thanks everybody for the comments I'm still on the fence tho.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I grew up shooting a 410 as that was the first gun any of us got to shoot. Shots in bow range are very effective for a 410. However I will echo Brocks suggestion with the ML. I really think that is the best choice in this case...

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I grew up shooting a 410 as that was the first gun any of us got to shoot. Shots in bow range are very effective for a 410. However I will echo Brocks suggestion with the ML. I really think that is the best choice in this case...

Yes I'm getting it out and see what they think. I think many of us used the 410 as our first gun I shot a lot of my first critters with a410 bet never a deer.

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
I TOO struggled with that choice when my youngest son was 8. An inline was too heavy for him to steady and hunting from a ground blind with no shooting rail it was an easy desicion for me. I practiced with him and his .410 him several times, he also had a single shot .410 Rossi, I limited his shots to 15 yds. He did very well during the practice session, the only downfall was him bringing back the hammer and the possibility of an accidental fire so I handled that. He killed a nice 8pt buck during youth season from a mere 8 steps and dropped it in its tracks. If I had to do it over again,which I will with my daughter, I may try the inline with a trigger stick.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just from personal observation I wouldn't suggest one of the monopod type trigger sticks. The bipod types are the way to go. The kids can rest the gun on them and don't have to worry about side to side movement as you do with a monopod. Getting the sticks in position and gun or crossbow mounted was always the biggest hurdle, but I don't know what choice there is since a young kid can't hold a gun or crossbow steady without them. A friend mounted a crossbow onto a camera tripod for his daughter, and it worked exceptionally well out of groundblind. That may be the way to go if a person isn't moving from locations much.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I need some advice , both my daughter and son love to hunt and they have been shooting the cross bow very well. My daughter turns eleven next week and my son is 7 . I found a youth model 500 410 for them and my boy shoots it well but the stock is a little long yet my daughter fits it like a glove. I should say they shoot well off the bench. I do have several two mans stands with the shooting rail to put them in. My delima is the 4/5 ounce slug too little. I'm just worried bout a ill placed shot and a unfound wounded deer. What's your opions should I wait till they can handle a 20 or hope for the best. I let them shoot as much as possible when time allows and the wallet isn't short.

We've killed several with .410's. And btw, did you just pick that .410 up for super cheap off craigslist a week or so ago? If so, it already has a deer to it's credit

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Brock! I'll pick up one of the bi or tri-pods.

We use the Bogpod tripod for my kids. My son shot the crossbow really well with it last year. I use it coyote hunting as well and we took it out with the muzzle loader last year. I just backed him down to 50gr and reduced his allowed range to under 50yds. Didn't matter since we didn't see a deer.