Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Traditions Pursuit Ambush with 3-9x40 Scope Combo

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I got to head down to the range to try out the new muzzy today. I have figured out that it likes the 100gr load and does ok with the shockwaves but want to try a couple other bullets to see what happens. I also found I can only get 2 shots out of the muzzy before I have to clean it out when shooting the Shockwaves. I can't get the 3rd round seated at all with the triple 7 pellets. Might also try some white hots down the road but happy with today's trial run. Also found out that I shoot much better free hand then off a bench lol.

Triple 7 powder is known to leave a very crunchy residue because of its chemical composition. Especially if you use normal also primers and not the triple 7 ones. After 3-5 shots I run a brush through to break it up and continue on.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Also I would change to Blackhorn 209 if you were going to change from triple 7. It cleans up like smokeless. I will be switching to it once I run through my can of triple 7.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Also I would change to Blackhorn 209 if you were going to change from triple 7. It cleans up like smokeless. I will be switching to it once I run through my can of triple 7.

If I change up powders that was my plan is to go with the Blackhorn. Just wanted to get use to this new muzzy shooting thing this season and then next spring start playing around with it. Change bullets and powder and different combo's of both to see what is the best combo for my accuracy. Just needed to get comfortable on what I was doing and what I needed to do this season. It was a good time shooting it today. Learned a thing or two and I'm sure there will be plenty more to learn over the next few months.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Good stuff! Surprised to hear of the better shooting offhand than using a rest. You must be rock steady bub. Keep enjoying the new muzzle loading experience!

It is strange but true Phil. Ask Dante lol. He is just as shocked as the rest of us that I can shoot better standing and aiming with sights then I can shooting off the bench. The more I shot today off the bench the worse I got. Getting frustrated I told Dave " It can't be the gun or the loads, it has to be ME" followed by " I am putting the sight where it was and I am going to stand up and shoot " BAM right back on paper again at both 50 and 100 yards and hit both in about the same dang place on the target. Just a little high and left. If I bring my head more to a straight position I will pull that bullet right back to the center.
I figured out that while I was on the bench the rear stock was hitting my shoulder pocket the same but the problem was I was leaning my head over the centerline trying to MAKE the gun shoot. Standing my check was hitting more on the side and not on the top of the back stock. The bench was too low and I was not putting my check on the side but more on the top and causing me to shoot left. Moved rear sight and it made it worse because I was leaning over even more and not even hitting paper.

This muzzy is pretty light and like I said, it shoulders really well for me and gives me a very stable sight picture. Just like the saying goes " Make the gun an extension of your arm" I think I might be able to do that with this gun and become just as good with it as I am with my old single shot .22 that Dave still like to tell the story of lol.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I almost had one of those Ultra Lights follow me home today...

Should have taken it. I like the way it fits and shoulders for me anyway. Seems pretty accurate out of the box too. Only thing I would advise is to get the stainless barrel. This blued barrel is not the best and after only a few trips to the woods it looks like I have beat the shit out of it from getting scratches.

Huckleberry Finn

Should have taken it. I like the way it fits and shoulders for me anyway. Seems pretty accurate out of the box too. Only thing I would advise is to get the stainless barrel. This blued barrel is not the best and after only a few trips to the woods it looks like I have beat the shit out of it from getting scratches.

Yea this had the CreKote barrel. Can't get over how light it is.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
F=ma. Gentlemen. Remember that when you load it. Light is not always a good thing.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
F=ma. Gentlemen. Remember that when you load it. Light is not always a good thing.

Shooting 100gr of powder and a 250gr bullet it didn't kick anymore then my 12ga shooting 2-3/4" slugs. I was really surprised it didn't kick more then that being as light as it is. I would say it is as light or even a little lighter then my Marlin model 60 .22 I have. Going to try some loose powder this summer and dial it a little better but I like it, just hate the cleaning lmao. Might add a scope but I like the sights that are on it currently too. Might even do some see thru scope mounts but not sure at this point. It is drilled for scope mounts so who knows what I will do lol. If shooting the loose powder and I feel comfortable shooting it the way I am I will not add the scope. Did pretty good out to 100y so far.