Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Not a good day at the range

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You don't need a Caldwell lead sled. Just curious if you were using sand bags or anything. Heck, leaning against a tree is better than just standing there free handing it.

Yepper on the bore butter. Learned that my first year with a muzzle loader. lol

In regards to the bullet or the powder change first? I don't know. Personally, I would probably use around 100gr and see which bullets group best. Then maybe adjust powder up or down from there. I use the pellets so 100gr worked best for me. I really don't think you need 150gr whether the gun says it can withstand it or not. As a starting point, I think I went 200gr, 240gr, 250gr, then went to the really light and really heavy ends of the spectrum. In the end I found my problem and realized most of these grouped fairly well after I ensured they were seated uniformly. hahah

Lundy

If you are having trouble hitting paper at 100 after being pretty close at 50 it much more likely a scope issue than a load issue.

Your idea of shooting with iron sites to confirm is a good one.

If it still will not group it will be the bullet fit and powder charge. Back the charge down and test again. You need a very snug fitting but not tight or loose fitting bullet for the best accuracy in most MZ's.

Also quit cleaning that gun every few shots. It is unreasonable to expect to always have every shot on a clean barrel. It is also unreasonable to expect every clean barrel shot to be as consistent as every fouled barrel shot. Instead, foul the barrel prior to the hunt and clean afterwards. That ensures that all of your shots, the first and the following shots are on the same setup. I did this for 20 years and it is a pain but the only good way of being sure of what you will get. Hunting with my smokeless MZ's has eliminated all of that concern for me.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Also quit cleaning that gun every few shots. It is unreasonable to expect to always have every shot on a clean barrel. It is also unreasonable to expect every clean barrel shot to be as consistent as every fouled barrel shot. Instead, foul the barrel prior to the hunt and clean afterwards. That ensures that all of your shots, the first and the following shots are on the same setup. I did this for 20 years and it is a pain but the only good way of being sure of what you will get. Hunting with my smokeless MZ's has eliminated all of that concern for me.

Kim hit on what I was going to say. Foul the barrel, load, shoot, then load and shoot once or twice more. If you have a follow up shot in the woods, you don't have time to swab and need to know how it will shoot. My CVA usually shoots better on the second shot...

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Got something else to think about now. i was talking to my foreman at work about the issues I was having getting sited in. I mentioned that I was tempted to just say screw it and upgrade to a better gun. He offered to sell me his CVA Accura. Stainless, Camoed thumbhole stock, speedbreech, and any bullets, pellets accesories hes got, for $200. He says since he became a foreman, he works so much he simply hasn't had time to hunt.

He is gonna bring it in with him on monday so I can check it out.

I'll probably go ahead and take the remington back to the range with no sites and go ahead and see if I cant get the .45 dialed in, but that is tempting.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
O.K. So I'm back to square one. i went to remove the scope and put the rear sight on and discovered a loose scope mount. The rings were tight on the scope, the dovetails were tight to the mounts, but the front mount was loose. I went ahead and tightened it down but put the rear site on anyway.

I will hopefully be at the range saturday or sunday, weather permiting. My plan is to put a target out around 50 yards and get an idea of what load I want to go with. foul the barrel first, only clean it every 3 or 4 shots. probably start with 100 grain 777 and a 250 grain shockwave. after that I will move the target back, but I'm not sure if I want to put the scope back on it.

I dont mind having the scope, but I'm running out of time to get it dialed in. I remember how busy the range was last weekend, I need to find a more private place to shoot were I can move the target up or back whenever i feel the need, and have some sort of piece and quiet so I can really take my time and think about what I'm doing.

I know a guy looking if you don't buy that one. lol

I will be looking at it monday. I am figuring on buying it. have to decide later if i want multiple muzzys or sell one of them.

Huckleberry Finn

Give me a call before you go to the range bud. May be able to make it.

Don't sell your Genesis without telling me either, I guess I'd be wise to get it for parts.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Give me a call before you go to the range bud. May be able to make it.

Due to the crappy weather, I'm figuring on going tomorrow. Probably around noon. Anybody else want to pop in and shoot a little. Shooting range at delaware state park. located on st.rt. 229, just east of 23. One day range pass can be bought from the dnr site for $5.

Huckleberry Finn

Due to the crappy weather, I'm figuring on going tomorrow. Probably around noon. Anybody else want to pop in and shoot a little. Shooting range at delaware state park. located on st.rt. 229, just east of 23. One day range pass can be bought from the dnr site for $5.

Good luck. I won't be able to make it up tomorrow but hopefully you will get 'er figured out!