Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Not a good day at the range

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
It was a simple plan... Go to the shooting range at Delaware and get a muzzy dialed in.

I have 2 muzzies. One is a Remington Genesis .50 that, as of the last time I was at the range, seemed to be hitting ok at 100 yards with a 250 grain powerbelt and 100 grain pyrodex. The other is a CVA .45 That has barely even been shot. i wanted to get them both dialed in.

I set the target at 50 yards at first and got out the CVA. First 2 shots were down and right. made a couple adjustments and the third shot punched the bullseye. I wanted to move back but there was a LOT of guys at the range today so rather than call a cease fire I figured I would get the .50 out and run a couple through it before moving the target back. I had just got the barrel swabbed and was ready to load when someone else called a cease fire. I went ahead and moved the target back to 100 yards and stayed with the .50 since it was already on the bench. The first shot was high and left like I expected. I made a couple adjustments to the scope, cleaned the barrel reloaded and fired again. After the smoke cleared there were 2 new holes in the target. neither one was where I expected to see one.

Long story short, Someone else was shooting at my target. There were a lot of other larger bore rifles being shot and I had no luck figuring out who it was. I had no idea weather I was making adjustments to my shots or someone elses. Add the fact that it looks like I still haven't found the right load for that gun, by the time I quit, I still had no idea where it was hitting at 100 yards.

I got the .45 back out and ran 2 through at 100 yards and they weren't even on the paper.

After 4 hours at the range, I still don't have a muzzy I am confident with at 100 yards. Maybe I will go back next week during the Buckeye game, I hear it isn't as busy down there during the games. So i came home, cleaned both guns and got the bow out to fling a few arrows, just to make myself feel better. I punched the 9th shot and spent the next 30 minutes looking for my arrow.

Think I will just go to bed.

Huckleberry Finn

Yup, bad days at the range suck.

Let me know when you go back, I may be able to meet you and shoot my Genesis side by side.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Let me know when you go back, I may be able to meet you and shoot my Genesis side by side.

When are you gonna be free on a weekend?

Your using blackhorn right? I wouldnt mind being able to try a couple of those before I go buy some. I already have a pile of pellets and bullets that dont seem to work.

We have all had those days. Just think, tomorrow has got to be better. I've never owned a ML, but my stepson has had a couple that gave him fits. Ended up that neither one of his would group powerbelts worth a nickel. I forget which bullet he went to, but both shot great after changing from the powerbelts.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Ended up that neither one of his would group powerbelts worth a nickel. I forget which bullet he went to, but both shot great after changing from the powerbelts.

I switched from TC shockwaves to powerbelts last year cause I couldnt get the shockwaves to group. I have heard good things about Barnes, maybe I'll try those next.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I use hornady xtps with good success.

I just cannot bear to spend $15 per 20 or however many come in a pack when I can get a 100 xtps for around $22.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Are you coming to strouds? I can bring extra with me.

Yaeh, I'll be there. I was hoping to have it ready to go before the hunt.

I tried 110 grain 777 pellets today. I thought Iwas hitting high. made an adjustment down, and wasnt even on the paper. I think The high shot was someone elses and I adjusted it wrong. Need to get back out there when it isnt so busy and I can try some other things

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
So I guess this has turned into a "how to" thread.

Say you are starting out with a 250 grain bullet and 100 grain load. You get no consistancy. Do you keep the load the same and try heavier or lighter bullets? or do you stick with the bullet and adjust the size of the load?

Huckleberry Finn

When are you gonna be free on a weekend?

Your using blackhorn right? I wouldnt mind being able to try a couple of those before I go buy some. I already have a pile of pellets and bullets that dont seem to work.

No, always used Hogdon Pyrodex (loose). $20/bottle at Meijer. Nothing special. I believe my load is 125-150 grains with Horandy's or some other kind I've got (they gots yellow tips thats all I know). I do believe I like the Horandy's the best - 240's.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
So I guess this has turned into a "how to" thread.

Say you are starting out with a 250 grain bullet and 100 grain load. You get no consistancy. Do you keep the load the same and try heavier or lighter bullets? or do you stick with the bullet and adjust the size of the load?

I chose the bullet I wanted to use and then dialed in the powder combo.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have spent more money on muzzle loaders to dial them in than I have ever spent in any other weapon. They can be frustrating.

Two questions: First thing to check is the scribe on your rod. Is it seating the bullets consistently? Silly as it seems, this is crucial. While I "thought" I was using the same reference point every time. . . .turned out I had more than one scratch on it as a reference point. Yeah. Boneheaded move on my part which sure made sighting it in and dialing in the combination MUCH better and easier.

Second question would be in reference to how you are "cleaning the barrel" between shots. How are you going about this?

Bear in mind, I am far from an expert. I can admit I have shot a ton of muzzle loader rounds though in failed attempts and learned much from my mistakes. I learned a whole lot of what NOT to do. lmao

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Yeah, I'm sure the bullet is seating right. I check the line on every load. The powerbelts actually seem to kind of "snap" into place. Not like a crack that would indicate the pellet had broken, but just the lightest little click.

I was pulling the breech, running a brush through twice, then a patch with remington muzzle loader conditioner, then a dry patch. I would then clean and pick the breech,and put a dab of anti seize on before putting it back in. I did this between every shot. My line of thinking is that when I head out to hunt with my muzzy, it is clean. The initial shot at a deer will be from a clean bore, so that is how it needs to be during sighting in.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Gotcha. Was listening to hear "I slide some bore butter down the barrel" which I did not hear. I figured you weren't doing that but you never know unless you ask. I dunno bud. I will take a back burner and let some better experienced guys jump in here. Just trying to eliminate any obvious stuff.

Only other "obvious" thing which is sometimes overlooked is scope mounts. Have heard of them loosening up over time. Double check them is the only other real obvious thing coming to mind.

You shooting from some sort of rest? Dumb questions I know, just thinking out loud. Like I said, I am good at eliminating simple fixes because I have made them all. lol

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Mine was just the opposite. Powerbelts shot like crap but Shockwaves grouped nice.
Every gun is different. Hang in there.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
No bore butter. Makes the bullet to slippery. Its like it slides out so easy it doesn't have a chance to catch the rifling.

No real rest either. I have a site vice I use when making scope adjusments, but it doesn't hold the gun steady enough to use it as a rest. Besides, it feels "unatural" to not be holding the gun while shooting.

Next trip out I think I'll give the TCs another try. I have a box of 300 grain shockwaves. I also have some hornady 250 grain sst. I wasn't sure of them because they have a "tail". Looks like it is meant to slide down the hole in the pellets, but it seems to me that could inhibit the pellet from igniting evenly. Maybe I'll just trim that off.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Oh yeah, scope mounts, I was wondering the same thing. Was thinking about taking the scope off and shooting open sites at 50 yards till I get the right load combination.