Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Would you rather?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Tiffany or Miss Kansas.....JK

Kill a 150inch on a small urban/suburban style hunting lot you got permission on. OR

Kill a 125 on a farm you hunt in SE Ohio that you own/lease/work/etc.

Ricer2231

I choose B. I would much rather kill a 125" deer on my own property in SE Ohio. I own the property and I can raise a deer herd year after year on my own property with food plots, mineral licks and everystuff I need to raise the giant of my dreams. Besides the 125" is probably a cull buck that I would need to dirt nap to improve the genetics on my farm.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Would depend if I wanted to have a surefire wallhanger or if I wanted to have a wallhanger I busted my ass for. I would have to go with the smaller buck I busted my ass for IMO.

If I put in the work and I shot one it would mean a lot more then the one I shot over a bird feeder.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
The reason I saw this:

1. I have had a lot of AMAZING places to hunt, but I didnt like it cause I could see people walking their dogs, see peoples cats, etc.

2. My farm, many have seen my deer, is not an amazing place. However, I have made changes every year to improve it. I would rather kill a buck that I "raised" then a buck just to have on my wall to say I killed a big one.

Nothing wrong with either just my opinion. Wanted to see what yall thought!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The reason I saw this:

1. I have had a lot of AMAZING places to hunt, but I didnt like it cause I could see people walking their dogs, see peoples cats, etc.

2. My farm, many have seen my deer, is not an amazing place. However, I have made changes every year to improve it. I would rather kill a buck that I "raised" then a buck just to have on my wall to say I killed a big one.

Nothing wrong with either just my opinion. Wanted to see what yall thought!

x2

Either is fine but the one on my farm would just mean a lot more to ME then the other.

Huckleberry Finn

Shoot a 150 on urban/sub land.

--

Would you rather shoot a 125" with your bow that you've had on camera or shoot a 150" that runs through on the opening morning of gun season that you've never seen before?

at1010

*Supporting Member*

Would you rather shoot a 125" with your bow that you've had on camera or shoot a 150" that runs through on the opening morning of gun season that you've never seen before?

That is a really hard one. I think I would rather shoot one with my bow. However, with a gun normally family is around so taking pics infront of the hunting camp, and all sharing some backstraps could make for an amazing memory.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Huck that is a tough twist you added. I would rather shoot ANY deer on my property or one of the properties I hunt. Even the 150" I had never seen would be sweeter on one of my properties simply because I hung the stands where I did for a reason. I have some stands hung which I know are not productive stands often but at certain times of the year they have pinch points where I have the chance to shoot a straggler. This is why I put these stands here.

That said, if I had someone offer me a lawnchair in their backyard along the golf course, I think I would take either the 125 or 150" off my property. I won't lie though, if there was a B&C buck it would be difficult. Probably be the only one I ever get a chance at. lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Interesting question!
Several years back I hunted in Buffalo Co WI. I've never seen so many deer, and big ones too. I shot a really nice buck close to the end of the hunt. It is my biggest deer, but not by much. It is also the deer that I am least proud to have shot. I was still happy at the time, but I knew there were better deer around. I had spent a week hunting already-set stands and decided to hang my own set up where I had seen this deer a couple of times. It worked out, and I was happy to get a shot, but not the same level of excitement I would have felt on my home turf.
I no longer care if I harvest a deer with a gun or a bow. Once upon a time I felt a little better about bow kills, but anymore that feeling has faded. It seems for me if I kill 'em quick and clean, play by the rules, I don't care what tool is used. Having said all that, I don't think it would matter to me if I shot an urban deer or backwoods critter as long as I did it right. After my experience last year, I don't even think the size of the rack matters to me as much as playing by the rules and making it clean.
Everything is a matter of perspective in this thing. Having grown up hunting big woods and hollars, that is what comes to mind when the term "deer season" pops up. I wonder if the kids that grow up hunting urban properties dream of hearing a deer walking over the sound of an Interstate highway in the background...

teej89

NE PA
Is the buck free range? THen I don't see the problem, unless the 150" is a sure fire kill and you're hunting outta a playskool treehouse in you're work clothes while your hunting partner is standing 20yds away feeding him an apple lol Either way he's a wild animal you're still going to have to pattern him, watch your steps, and finally make that fatal shot. Yeah the scenery is not as awesome and I'd definitely miss those long morning walks to the stand way before light but it's about the chase.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just wondering what happened to Tiffany and Miss Kansas in this question. LOL

Lundy

--

Much rather shoot the one I had never seen, it is like winning the lottery. Call me soft but I get way too personally attached to the deer I have hundreds of pictures of and see on a regular basis and a 125, if I judge him properly, gets a free walk anyway, I'll shot a doe for my summer sausage

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
135" would have made it more tempting IMO cause I'm not shooting another 125" deer under any circumstances. Mid-130's deer, especially 8-points are very tempting.

My would you rather has always been 160" 8-point or a net Booner, barely 10-point? I'd shoot the 8 every time. He's a different class of animal compared to the 10 and I don't need my name in a book...

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
135" would have made it more tempting IMO cause I'm not shooting another 125" deer under any circumstances. Mid-130's deer, especially 8-points are very tempting.

My would you rather has always been 160" 8-point or a net Booner, barely 10-point? I'd shoot the 8 every time. He's a different class of animal compared to the 10 and I don't need my name in a book...
Now we are talking! Not that I haven't shot a 125", but those are usually the ones you want to pass on. Unless its a old buck on his way down, then I would take him out.

Back to your question, the 150" all day long. As long as I was the one who did all the work to harvest him.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I guess for me, I just did not like hunting in Urban areas. I thought I would like it cause I saw a TON of deer.

I just really like hunting over my plots and hearing nothing but nature. I hated the feeling of hunting in the city, even though I knew I could harvest a huge deer.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Steve Eskers has made a career of hunting over walking trails, next to housing developments, and within the hum of the city. As far as I'm concerned, he can take all those monster bucks of his and keep 'em. Sure it would be nice to slay a monster or two in my life, but I ain't selling my soul just to do it. My soul belongs here in the sticks. The hills and hollers around here are my home and I'll just be a dumb redneck most of my life, but I'm proud of that. And hunting here like I do means I'll never kill a 200" deer or even see one. However I'll earn every single inch of antler I kill in my lifetime and they'll all come from weary old, truly wild bucks. I want nothing to do with hunting urban ground regardless of what it would put on my wall...

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Tiffany.
Oh yeah the deer TOO.
I think the 125" on my own property would definitely be a trophy for me. I haven't had the success that many others on here have had.