Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nebraska Mule Deer

themedic

OHIO
Just north of hot springs, we'll be 100 miles north on Chadron NE. That's the extent of the location that I know. My old man is spearheading the trip, my role is the driving lol

Well good luck, I can give you the exact spot I shot mine in 2012 if you need ideas for more public ground

Hunting18

I know this is a couple year old thread but I am hoping you guys will see this. I am heading out to Crawford Nebraska in 2016 to do a December Muzzleloader hunt. Anyone have any further info on this area or anything that may help us out while we are out there? I really appreciate any input.... Thanks!

Hopefully, by the time many of you read this I will be on my way across the country to the sandhill region of North-Western Nebraska. This will be my third straight year in this part of the country in pursuit of a mule deer buck. Last year, as some of you may remember, I hunted in South Dakota only a few miles from the Nebraska border where I hunted in 2011.

This area of the country features a wide range of habitat including granite rock bluffs, pine forest ridges, sandhills, prairie flats and scrub brush draws. The area is ideal for the spot and stalk hunting that has fast become my favorite. The area has an abundant whitetail population and some exceptional mule deer. Nebraska tags are Over The Counter and cost only $209 for a Non-resident with an additional $20 habitat stamp. An extremely affordable hunt with plenty of public land access.

This year I will travel with my good friend Zach Skeens of Yes Deer Taxidermy and Processing in Sugar Grove, Ohio and hopefully help him tag his first ever mule deer. It is my hope to document our trip in a semi-live format, day by day. Not sure how interent will be but I'll keep TOO members updated. I hope you all will follow along.

In 2011 I harvested my first mule deer. It was a great hunt with a bittersweet ending on a young mule deer.

In 2012 on a family vacation in Custer South Dakota, I slipped away for a few days and was able to harvest a nice 3x3 muley. Although I did not capture the harvest on video, I am very proud to share the recovery footage. The video can be seen here on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTkJrgsXqMs

Although a harvest is not my only objective for this year’s trip, I hope to up the any and have labeled my 2013 season "Year Of Deep Forks". It is my hope to harvest a mature mule deer buck with deep forked g-2's and then return to Ohio and begin my quest for Denali 2.0. I'm excited to get the 2013 hunting season under way. Let the trophy pursuit's begin!

See you in Nebraska

-Corey