Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil's 2013/2014 Hunting Journal

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Felt good to hit the woods this morning. Hunting my own property for the first time this year. Long walk in so I wanted to be there super early. Was setup around 6am for a 730 shooting light. Glad I did because I didn't blow out anything. Unfortunately in the 1.5hr wait for legal light I heard several deer moving thru below me. By daylight there were none to be seen.

I did manage to arrow a nice big squirrel at 27.5yds. Good for confidence to nail it at that yardage. I think I will be able to put one on the mark for a much larger target at that distance with no issues. Unfortunately, this guy was shishkabobbed. He tried like heck to get loose and finally quit moving. I climbed down to gather my arrow so I could try for another. Little bastard jumped up and took to life again. 40' straight up a giant oak tree arrow and all. No recovery of arrow or squirrel. Not cool.

Hrs on stand: 6-1015am
Deer seen: 0

Season totals:
Sits: 9
Time on stand: 30.75
Deer seen: 30
Shot opps: 11

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Been there Phil lol... Easton arrow and a thunder head .125 and the dang thing went up a tree in a fork and died l..... Expensive lesson lol.... Glad too see the now can hit the mark at 27 yards.....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I had one do that too, years ago. I had already filled my tag for the season with my first recurve kill. A buddy was just getting into bow hunting so I was sorta babysitting him and went to the woods with him. I was in a tree about 100 yards from him with my recurve and a quiver full of arrows tipped with field points, washers behind them for added thump. I shot this squirrel through the neck/shoulder. He was stuck to the ground for a long time, then I watched in amazement as he shuffled off with equal parts of arrow sticking out each side. I was dumbfounded and before I knew it he was out of range! 45 minutes later, I saw him going across a big oak limb, still carrying my arrow! Never saw either again! Judo points, Phil...they thump 'em!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Judo points, Phil...they thump 'em!

That WAS my last Judo point. I had good penetration I guess. Clear thru him and stopped when it hit dirt. Guess I should not have gotten down so fast. Should have left him to bleed out but I wanted to end his suffering. Well, he is now owl or hawk food I guess. Not my intentions at all.

Made it out tonight. Was on the fence even as I pulled out of the drive. Coming down the road I see my foreman. We stopped and chatted for about 5 seconds. He said "They are picking the corn over by. . . ." and I was rolling. I think I yelled thanks but not sure he heard me over the roar of my riceroni Honda (toaster) Element. Slid into the stand by 415 after a half mile walk. Pretty windy. Had 4 does come in. They all 4 looked small. One of them was extra spooky. Stared me down forever. Stomping, head bobbing, etc. You see they trimmed up the power lines and in the process left my tree stand (nice of them not to steal it) without much cover anymore. They were downwind and never busted me, but she saw me and tried her best to get me to move for over 10min if I had to guess.

Then light rain began. This lasted awhile and suddenly it cleared up. The wind also died down. Next thing I know along comes another doe. Had her at 36yds but she just didn't look very big either. Initially thought maybe a button wandering, but binoculars said otherwise. I let her feed on thru and I spot a buck. A decent buck. I thought long and hard. Binoculars up again and he looked bigger and better. Just didn't have much body on him and I field judged him at 120-130". A nice 10pt, but needs about 10 more inches of antler. He passed right behind my tree offering a sub 5yd shot and I somehow mustered the discipline not to shoot him. It was calm, no longer raining, deer were moving, and it was only 615-630. I was feeling hopeful. Sadly, he was the last deer I saw for the night. Just wasn't in the cards but was a great hunt!

Here are the pics of him. One was trail camera pic from yesterday, the other two off my camera.

Hours hunted: 3
Deer seen: 6
Shot opportunities: 2

Season totals:
Sits: 10
Time on stand: 33.75
Deer seen: 36
Shot opps: 13

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Great job passing him up phil. He has decent genetics and is young. In 2 years when the corn is back he should be a dandy.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Keep after em Phil. A good one has to amble by sooner or later.

I hope so HT. Sadly, I don't think it will happen on this property. The does are mostly all MIA and overall the property hasn't shown a lot in terms of big bucks this year. You never know during the rut or once all the corn is off, but currently I am thinking it will have to happen on another property if I want a big boy.

Thank you all for reading and for the encouragement. Been putting in some hours. I appreciate y'all taking the time to share in it with me. One of the great things about this website for sure.

Today:
Same property. Different stand. Half of the property I have not done anything in this year due to crop rotation. Trying to stay out and let the deer feel secure because this is really an area they like to use for bedding. This morning I slid into the only permanent stand hung on this half. It is an easy access stand and generally a decent place to attempt to catch them heading back to bed. Not today though. Squirrels and turkeys. I did manage to watch a young buck thru the trees across the field. He was probably over 1/4 mile away or more though.

Hours hunted: 3
Deer seen: 1

Season totals:
Sits: 11
Time on stand: 36.75
Deer seen: 37
Shot opps: 13

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Opening day a few years ago I was being tempted by a big red squirrel. He ended up on a branch about 15' away at eye level and I couldn't resist. The arrow destroyed him and then bounced off 43 trees on its continued path through the woods. I laughed then it struck me. Fuck! That arrow had a Rage on it. I forgot to put my crappy squirrel arrow on there and sent $23 whizzing through the woods never to be seen again.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good hunt Phil. I haven't been out as I have concrete crew here putting in a new driveway. Maybe tomorrow.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I made it out sunday evening for my first bowhunt in nearly 3 weeks. The corn around my stand was partially cut so I figured I'd see something. At 5:15 a nice 2.5 year old 8pt with some junk walk in the same path as me, downwind the whole time. I did stop for maybe 5 seconds when he was directly in my scent current and stared my direction. Then the old tail fluttered and he went about his business of checking scrapes.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great hunt Phil! Glad to see you pass that deer. He looks to have some good genes and you're hunting some good older deer this year....just don't burn ALL your either or tags!rotflmao

Great pics TOO!

Very nice encounter Ryan!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Quick version:
Hit stand early. 30min before shooting light I had 2 does under me. Glad I was situated already so I could enjoy listening. Light come and had a basket rack and button come thru. Mingled in shooting lanes for awhile. Later saw the basket rack make another loop on the north end of property. Got quiet. Saw a forkhorn about the time I was packing it up. Hung out another 10-15min. Hoping to get out tonight to maybe put some doe burger in the freezer. Off to work I go.

Time in stand: 3hrs
Deer seen: 5

Season totals:
Sits: 12
Time on stand: 39.75
Deer seen: 42
Shot opps: 15

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Terribly windy. Died down the last half hour or so. Never saw a thing the entire sit until the end. I was fortunate enough to watch two tom turkeys fly up to their roost. Never seen that before. Never seen any turkeys on this property before either, so this is promising. With minutes of light left I had 4 deer come out. Then I see a fifth which was a young buck. He pushed the does off and I ended up seeing another small buck join him. Talk about bad timing. arrgh

Time hunted: 3hrs
Deer seen: 6

Season totals:
Sits: 13
Time on stand: 42.75
Deer seen: 48
Shot opps: 18