Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil's 2013/2014 Hunting Journal

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have been putting off starting this but since all the cool kids are doing it I figured I would start. Work, family, and more work has dictated my pre-season thus far. I have done little prep.

I have been shooting as much as possible but even still it has only been 2-3x per week. Not bad if I am just keeping the rust off, but I am still getting acquainted with a new bow so I don't feel it is enough.

Gear is all washed up and tucked away. I have checked most of my tree stands already. Today i managed to hang another stand I feel will be either a nice early season doe stand or an all day rut stand. It rained and while I should have been working inside a house I am preparing to rent I just felt the need to escape. My foreman tagged along to help out which was much appreciated. A bit late to be hanging stands but it is what it is. I did hang one on Father's Day and a buddy and I hung one and moved another in late July or early August.

Cameras have not been the priority this year they have been in the past. Several reasons why. 1) I have been hanging them high and angling downward and wasn't getting it right. This frustrated me and I kinda said screw it. 2) I had some issues with a couple cams which frustrated me and said screw it. 3) I was really trying to be diligent in staying out of hunting areas. 4) I just haven't had a ton of luck locating a pile of shooters this year. I know there are some dandies out there. Not having them on camera doesn't mean I don't know they are there. I am sort of looking forward to an element of surprise from the stand. i am going to shoot what trips my trigger. If I later find out I am disappointed and regret what I shot then I will rethink my plan next year. I think I have a decent idea of what it takes to meet my personal goals by judging on the hoof. If I eat a tag, I don't care.

That said, I am simply going to keep my nose to the grindstone. I have a pile of work to complete before the season begins. I have 3 kids with activities I will be attending. I am not overly pumped about the season at this point. Although it is only 16days out it feels very surreal to type that out. It just doesn't feel like it is close yet. Maybe as busy as I have been and with as much stuff as I need to accomplish prior to season I am just keeping myself from getting too worked up about it. I have a feeling as each day draws nearer to the season my enthusiasm will intensify.

Strategies for early season? I don't even know. We really could use some meat in the freezer. Momma has been working her butt off canning and keeps mentioning how little burger there is left. I guess my early season goals are to do some scouting from the stand with hopes of an early season doe. If I am surprised with a shooter buck then it would be wonderful. It would allow me the rest of the season to focus more on my son's hunting and running off trespassers. Time will tell. I guess I am really entering the season with low expectations. The last two years have been great but I have saved money at the taxidermist.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sounds like you are off to a decent start, Phil. Having a stand or two already set is nice. IMO, pics are over-rated. I am pretty sure you will see one that trips your trigger with or without 'em. Good luck, looking forward to watching your season play out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad to hear business is good phil. Hopefully you get enough time off to get some seat time. A good buck would be a bonus.

Thanks Dave. Busy is a blessing and a curse. Overall I am thankful. In two weeks I will be pissy about it. lol

Appreciate the kind words Boarhead, Brock, and Dante. Hoping by going into the season with no "big" hopes and just enjoying it and trying to put some meat in the freezer I will find a pleasant surprise. Honestly, it will feel good just to sit in the stand here and there.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I'm right there with you Phil wish I had more time for scouting this year and 1 of 2 cameras took a dump and other is not that good of spot so not much info there. I had several stands out since last year and putting my last up 2 marrow morning should've had it done a month ago. But like boar head said deer or no deer its just good therapy being in the tree. Good luck and have a safe fun year.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great update Phil! Sounds like your in great shape as well. Hope your work gets less hectic soon and you get to enjoy some ass time this season. Good luck buddy!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hope your work gets less hectic soon and you get to enjoy some ass time this season.

Love ya like a brother Ric. For this reason I want you to read this again. We could go a thousand directions with this one. lmao

I know what you mean. Thanks bud.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Oops, that didn't sound good now did it?!? Rotflmao

Hope you get to hunt a lot this season, I mean A LOT! That sounds better...lol

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Phil, You will not be needing any ass for the next few months cause you'll be a hunten machine.
just sayen...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am crying. Was going to go in before these rains to swap camera cards and hang one last "killing stand" today. I had two camera cards filled up. 1562pics each. Nothing but guys in there working and tearing up the landscape around two stands. Thankfully they did not mess with the stands or cameras. Unfortunately the deer patterns are totally jacked up for now. I have pictures of these guys working in August and all the way thru September. There is still equipment parked there. I am not sure where to go now. I think it is time to put my thinking cap on and determine where the deer may be moving to avoid this interruption. Pretty much my only option at this point.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am a guy. Therefore, I am a problem solver. Deer patterns are changed. Guys have spent a month cleaning out power lines and the river. I got on the computer and updated my Google Earth images to reflect what is planted in every field within 2 miles. I zoomed out and I feel I have a decent idea why I saw a cow path thru the beans. Ironically, had I hung the stand where I intended to today i would have been in good shape. I did NOT hang it, but I did pick out 2 trees which will work for my climber. I have a game plan. Time to implement it and see if my woodsman gut is accurate or if it needs some fine tuning.

Here are the only two bucks I had on camera. Sadly, I had few does. Mainly forestry workers, coons, one coyote, and that was it other than two yayhoos who were riding their horses thru the area.

Not sure which one this guy is. Might have him in velvet but these pictures weren't telling me much.

This is Seven. Nice deer. He is probably lucky his name isn't Eight or Ten. He walks this year. I am guessing 2nd set of antlers. Might be 3.5 but I don't think so.

I got on the computer and updated my Google Earth images to reflect what is planted in every field within 2 miles. I zoomed out and I feel I have a decent idea why I saw a cow path thru the beans. Ironically, had I hung the stand where I intended to today i would have been in good shape. I did NOT hang it, but I did pick out 2 trees which will work for my climber. I have a game plan. Time to implement it and see if my woodsman gut is accurate or if it needs some fine tuning.

I have the regular Google Earth and it still shows the land from about 2 years ago. Do you have the Pro version??