Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New To Ohio

zack2516

I moved here in January and didn't get a chance to hunt last season. I am in the Army and will stationed in Toledo for the next 3 years. I have rifles but did not know you couldn't hunt with them in Ohio. So i got a bow and I am just wondering where is the decent public land to hunt deer on? Even its a little drive for me . I also haven't ever hunted public land because I have always been in a club. How exactly does it work ? Do you need to notify that you are in the area or just go there and hope you don't walk up on someones hunt? Any and all suggestions are appreciated . THANKS!!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Public land is just that, first come first serve... Start scouting and you should be alright.... I'm on the other part of the state and of no help for locations.... Welcome too the site and thank you for your service... Are you active, guard or reserve?

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Welcome to TOOland ! Thank you for your service in the Army. That's great that you're getting into bowhunting. For decent hunting land in that part of the state, I cannot answer. For public hunting land, you just walk in & hunt. The best thing to do though, is once you find an area you want to hunt, scouting it before the season starts would be preferable. Obvioulsy here we are with the season approaching fast. Practice with that bow is very important. Get to know it, become proficient & in the meantime ask around for permission on private, or try & buddy up with your fellow servicemen. Everything happens in due time, but you really need to be able to shoot that bow before you start hunting. Others will be along to help out. Good luck !

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Welcome to TOO. Not much help to you on public hunting around Toledo but I am sure someone here is going to jump in before long. If not, I know there have been some threads on here in the past about these areas. Maybe try a search?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome to the site and Ohio. Thank you for your service as well. I'm not familiar with anywhere near Toledo but after going to Woodbury this summer with the gang I was very impressed with the camping area and the amount of prime woodland for all types of hunting. They also have a nice shooting range as well. Not sure how far a drive it would be for you but I'd check it out. Good luck!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome and thanks for your service. I'm originally from about 90 miles south of Toledo but always hunted private land. There are couple Too members in your area and I'm sure they will jump in with idea's. One of them I believe has a new Sports Bar in that area he maybe a good one to look up. Who is he guys?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Welcome and thanks for your service. I'm from the hills, so I have one leg longer than the other. Not good for giving advice hunting the flatland up there!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Welcome and thanks for your service. I'm originally from about 90 miles south of Toledo but always hunted private land. There are couple Too members in your area and I'm sure they will jump in with idea's. One of them I believe has a new Sports Bar in that area he maybe a good one to look up. Who is he guys?

Oakswamper. He is in this area. He, Mike, and Bthompson were the three I thought of who might be of assistance.

Forgot to thank you for your service in my initial post. Shame on me. I sincerely appreciate it!

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Welcome to the forum. I just left Toledo, from across the TP at the 180th. The public land out there sucks, sorry but it does. I traveled down to SE Ohio to do my public land hunting. There are closer spots that will produce good deer, but all are at least over an hour drive away. And hey, my house is up for rent if you're looking for a place to rent and still be able to shoot your bow!

Tim