Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting With Another TOO Member

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I didn't see this thread till just about an hour ago as I was getting ready to leave work and head for home. Thank you very much for the compliment Dick and you other great guys. Dick, I'm positive we would have a great time hunting together whether we drew blood or even saw any brown. As a matter of fact I'd even be happy running a video camera for ya trying to get you killing "ole split ear" on film! Sitting with my brother Ron many times over the years were some of the most memorable hunts of my life because of the camaraderie and hushed chats we shared during the lulls of midday. Enjoying the hunt with a family member or a friend is special because it allows you to catch up with each other when all the stresses are gone and nothing else can disturb you unless the sheen of an antler,a flicker of an ear or the approaching sound of deer hooves puts both hunters into kill mode. The celebrations after a successful hunt with friends are memories we all wish would never end and listening to the hunt being told over and over as others join the gathering never gets old.

This has to be one of the hardest questions to answer for me. I haven't had the privilege to hunt next to any of our members other than Ron but I did join many of our great group of TOOzers down at Strouds last year for the bowhunt and had a friggin great time. I can honestly say so far that every TOOZER I've met to this point in time has exceeded my expectations in several ways. Their character and core values is off the charts and everyone of them are willing to go above and beyond to help others to succeed. There is humor and knowledge abound with this group and the guys know how to kill em,cook em,eat em then celebrate and drink afterwards.

I still have a lot of TOOzers I've known for awhile from just reading their postings that I can't wait to meet and the list just keeps getting longer with the newer members joining in the fray almost daily. It's been newer members like yourself who post up, contributes and shares your knowledge and past experiences that is the driving force that keeps TOO growing in the direction it was intended(a big fuggin campfire with great friends enjoying each others company)!

So I will just answer your question like this. I would be happy to hunt with all the main contributors of this site because they are just plain great people who share the same love of hunting and the great outdoors as I do!

On a side note, I urge everyone who hasn't been able to attend a TOO event yet to try and make one sometime. The friendships I've made over the last year are very rewarding and I look forward to meeting these guys during the next one to catch up and relax. I guarantee you will NOT be disappointed!

Thanks again for the kind words guys! Phil, I ain't gay! I'm HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY:smiley_coolpeace:

Mike, you were in there! Lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I can't believe someone picked me. :smiley_crocodile:

Sorry Mike. I had to. The crazy thing is it would be enjoyable to hunt with just about anyone here. Many have said it including myself and I believe they all genuinely meant it. Fine group of folks here.

I was fortunate to hunt with xbowguy and Diane last year. They are both great people and I certainly appreciated it. I look forward to hunting with some more of you down the road.

Dante's choice of Badger was a great one. Not only would it be enjoyable but I think he would be a wealth of information as well.

wv67

Being new Id say id hunt with any of ya ,lol I liked the grouse pic , thats something we have plenty of also ,even though i havent chased them for a long time

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Dante's choice of Badger was a great one. Not only would it be enjoyable but I think he would be a wealth of information as well.

You quite right Phil, got to spend a few hours in the stand with Dale last season and it was a blast. Would do it again in a heartbeeat.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Every trapper I have spoken with for any amount of time has impressed me with their woodsmanship. They are so observant of tiny details and predicting how an animal will move or react. Very impressive. Plus, Dale is just a cool cat!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Anytime, Brock. Hopefully we can meet at Stouds and chew the fat! Some beers by the campfire and a platter of freshly fried fish. Lol

I can't wait! I spent a little time today getting one of my muzzleloaders squared away for Mason's friend to use. We are hoping he and his dad will tag along for the weekend. I'm looking forward to meeting you and others I've yet to meet. Lots of folks I'm looking forward to seeing again too!

badger

*Supporting Member*
I've had the pleasure of sharing the woods with a few of you now, and loved every minute. I've missed out on a few hunts I was invited on, but I plan to make that up in the future.

I'm not one to single out one certain person, because I feel I can learn at least one thing from anyone I hunt with, even the mountain guy!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
(INSERT SOAPBOX HERE)

(o god, he's climbing up on it...)

I've been thinking about this thread since it was started. There are a number of names I could offer up but being old and all that, I'm sure I would forget someone or have to keep going back to edit for add-ons. What I will do instead is challenge each of you to make good on your post...

Jessi and Joe have created a outstanding opportunity for us to capitalize on in each thread we view on here. Be it Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, Shooting, Hand loading, family or even on occasion... matters of the heart. The wealth of knowledge is huge. Over the years we get to know one another by our posts and become friends. You learn to respect their knowledge on a subject or skill or their sense of humor yet in many cases have never laid eyes on that person.

If you want to feel left out, just pass up a event or get-together posted here with an open invite then read about it AFTER the event and see the picts.
Bunny hunts, fishing get together, Stroud's or the Wayne come to mind. If an opportunity comes up to go to an event, make the time to go. A 3 or 4 hour drive will be nothing in the end compared to the memory of a gathering in years down the road. (I need to follow my own advise more often TOO.)

I will however say I had the great pleasure to hunt bunnies with 2 men from this site for the first time on a very very cold day and I had an outstanding time. We talked most the day only shutting up as a dog would push a rabbit by. I never fired a shot but that day is a fond memory. I was also lucky enough to have the opportunity to have a fellow member I had just gotten to know drive to my home and hunt squirrels for 3/4 of A day. Our mutual obsession with being out in the woods made it a memorable day I still treasure. We spent the first half of the day just pointing out things to one another involving everything that grows, walks or fly's in the woods. It wasn't until the afternoon we felt we should shoot 1 tree rat each since that was the whole reason he came up.(which we did in short order.) Another weekend event Jeff and I hosted some years back has become a grand memory involving shooting, fishing, eating and camp fires. It was a big deal for us to have the event and lots of pictures were taken. Our Dad was there the whole time and now with his passing away 2 years ago, the pictures are nice to have. I can also say I had an memorable time at a cook-out, meeting even more members for the first time after (in some cases) years of chat. All these men I have mentioned I call my friends today and would have never had the opp. had I not MADE the time to go.

Point being, I have made the time to get together with members here I initially only knew from postings because I liked what they stood for or wanted a evening to pick their brains on a subject. I have quite a list of people from here I want to meet.

I challenge you to contact someone you have known on here and arrange a meeting to share your common intrest or learn from their expertise... and bring your camera. We'll be wanting to see pictures. lol

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

Great post, Jim. Wonderful words.

---

I need to add another one, I've had the privilege of meeting many members of this site (but I've gotten behind missing Strouds and the last 2 campouts) but I have yet to meet Dann.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dan is a treasure to society and philosophy!

I have read over this thread a time or two, and I don't think there is anyone here I wouldn't hunt with. Lots of good people here.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe I will invite myself along on your 2016 bear hunt Don. lmao

You fit in the category of "not too many on here I wouldn't hunt with".

Jim- those were some fine words and true words. I would like to meet up with many on here whether it be hunting or just grab a bite to eat and shoot the breeze. Ricer, Buckbuster, Mike, Oak Swamper, AHoldren, 5cent, are just a few on my "need to meet" list. This is a long list though.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
First of all Jim, what can I say.... We did have a great time freezing our asses off but hay we had great BBQ that Sam recommended lol.... And the coffee was really really good....

Strouds was a great time, I was quiet most of the weekend as I wanted too listen more than talk.... Randy was hilarious and MRex was a wealth of knowledge of the area....

If you can make Strouds this year by all means make he trek and you will not be disappointed I can vouch for that.... Just don't try too follow Hunt2 home if you're heading north !!!!! Sorry Ryan I couldn't resist hahaha.....

yotehunter

spencerville oh
It would be a pleasure too hunt with any man or woman on this sight. Seems Too be a lot of wisdom and respectable people on this site. I believe I would enjoy hunting and having a few suds with any toozer good luck and be safe everyone.