Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting With Another TOO Member

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's pretty funny.....

I hunt the hill country too and self proclaim that I'm pretty good at it.

I would love an opportunity to hunt that flat land western Ohio with 400 acres of corn with 50 acres of woodland strips.
It seems so easy from a hill hunter perspective. ie. fish in a barrel?

We should have a: Trade-A-Hunt. Our hill country for your flatland with corn.

I grew up hunting my Grandfather's land in Hocking and Vinton Co. I grew up in the relatively flat lands of eastern Pickaway, and actually killed my first deer there. I will take you up on that offer any time you'd like. I now hunt the flattest, and lowest deer density county in the State. At first glance, it would seem easy to kill a deer in flat, checkerboard type woodland/field habitat, but it is not. These deer will lay in the middle of 500 acre fields at the first sign of hunting pressure. It makes it very difficult to kill them. They DO NOT use the same trails daily to enter or exit woodlots as some seem to think. Winds swirl as much in flat country as they do hill country. There is little advantage IMO to hunting flat farmland deer with the exception of walking in and dragging out. Deer can easily make us look like fools regardless of where they reside.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
BTW, when there is 400 acres of corn still standing, there are very few deer using any woodlot. When the corn is still standing, hunting AG land is almost pointless. Too much cover for the few deer around.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
BTW, when there is 400 acres of corn still standing, there are very few deer using any woodlot. When the corn is still standing, hunting AG land is almost pointless. Too much cover for the few deer around.

I agree.... good strategy this year is going to be hope you are the guy that has the last 100 acres of standing corn in the area and the farmer leaves it on through the rut.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Gun season with the Dunne boys - the infamous Charlie Brown pumpkin.

:smiley_clap: Thanks Huck!

This is a very tuff one because all you guys are great. I would say CJD.............oh wait, done that. Dannmann, J, Hicks, Huck, Joe would be interesting, Cotty, Beentown, Ohiosam, Redcloud, and Full Bore. If they played their cards right I would take them Fishing for Dem Steel Heads. :pickle:

Buckmaster

Portage
Fascinating. We have no corn where we hunt. Only apples, acorns, hay fields, and food plots. I'm the other extreme to your corn hunts. We are the Capital of Multi Flora Rose.

As a result we have these.

Attachments

• Grouse 1.JPG
    Grouse 1.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 126

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Fascinating. We have no corn where we hunt. Only apples, acorns, hay fields, and food plots. I'm the other extreme to your corn hunts.

Even reading on these forums for years about you guys hunting hill country, I would still probably be walking around with my thumb up my ass wondering where to go... :smiley_crocodile:

Buckmaster

Portage
I would still probably be walking around with my thumb up my ass wondering where to go... :smiley_crocodile:

I know I did the first year I rifle hunted in West Virginia back in 1989.
I could not find a deer and all the locals I was hunting with were laying down bucks on each hunt.

Think....draws, flats, and transition points. That's the starting point.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Mrex

He'll put me on a booner and film me shooting it. That film would end up on north american white tail where it would get so much positive viewer feedback that the outdoor channel would offer me my own show. At that point I would become more recognizeable than Wadell, and get so many corporate sponsers that I would be able to buy Lee and Tiffany's properties right out from under them. Tiffany would of course be kept on as a "personal assistant".

Nah, who am I kidding. I would love to spend some time on the trap lines with Badger.